• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's happened to jasper

xnaomix

Warren Scout
[emoji20]
He's completely changed, we had him in the run with Wendy yesterday and they spent the day outside together.. Seperate but so they could see eachother & touch noses.. Since that he's been like this.. I'm scared to touch him, Wendy bit him a few times through the run https://vimeo.com/121457348
Just after this video he scratched my hand when I tried to fuss him!
Jaspers never been like this, he acts like a dog & loves nothing more than a fuss [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He grunt as he's scratching too,.. Was very aggressive [emoji53][emoji24]

Does he have 24/7 access to a run? It could be that he is feeling territorial and guarding his cage. How old is he? Perhaps he is getting hormonal (Spring) even neutered rabbits can get a bit extra feisty at this time of year.

He looks really lovely. Hope you manage to sort something out for him.

Does he have 24/7 access to a run? It could be that he is feeling territorial and guarding his cage. How old is he? Perhaps he is getting hormonal (Spring) even neutered rabbits can get a bit extra feisty at this time of year.

He looks really lovely. Hope you manage to sort something out for him.

This. I think he is feeling threatened, what with the combination of being in an open cage (with no cover) and with people leaning over and around him.

His cage is constantly open and always has been.. He has run of the house and garden whenever he wants (aslong as Harry is in his house) he completely changed after being around her, maybe he wants to be the only rabbit & being mardy with me because I pay attention all 3 and not just him? He's alittle bit better today but still not his normal self

7b11ba681d5791ea26848065c20f6a73.jpg

Think he thinks I can't see him lol

He's obviously not scared because of how he's laying.. But something isn't right [emoji53]
e19d01300c4efef8956e112d74dbdebc.jpg

Aww no.. Bless him! Hope you're okay?

Just wanted to say, Harvey has a cage for a base then let out, well before his recent ordeal! But before he was neutered, and he was in his cage, and I touched his hay or went to grab his food bowl he would go for me and grunt.. But it was only when I touched his food and any other time was completly fine and would always come up to me. Do you tend to touch his hay and food etc? Could he be protecting?

Just a thought, but if not.. Really hope he's okay & someone has some better advice for you x

I don't think it's because he wants to be on his own, I think he's probably feeling confused and frustrated by the changes in his territory - being put with a female, taken away again, put next to each other, put back in his cage etc. Rabbits have a real need for security and consistency, and are also naturally territorial and hierarchical, and it sounds as if his environment is getting mixed up between all these things and he's getting confused about whether he's on his own or with a friend.

Can you imagine if you really, really wanted some chocolate and someone kept on coming up to you with a giant slab of chocolate, maybe let you have a little piece of it then took it away again, then brought it back into the room but waved it about in front of your face but wouldn't let you eat it, then put it in your bed but covered up so you could see it but couldn't touch it. I'm sure you'd get pretty grumpy after a while because you wouldn't know what on earth is going on. OK, silly analogy, but hopefully it makes a bit of sense.

If Jasper and Wendy are going to be bonded, then I would suggest waiting until they are ready to be bonded (I can't remember which one is which, is Wendy the one raising a litter at the moment?) and then just bond them. To keep putting them next to each other and then taking them apart again is just going to confuse them and your'e likely to see an increase in this grumpy behaviour rather than a decrease.

Wendy did have a litter but they are seperate now (the babies are 10 weeks + ) I tried yesterday evening to get them together and it ended really badly.
He's got his little house which has always been the same and he's out in the run with Wendy so it's neither his or hers space, yesterday she went for him and it got really nasty ( my partner had to practically pull her off him) so brought jasper back in and left him alone but this morning he's growling at me and has scratched my hand twice. My partner said maybe she's still protective of her babies? But they are with friends round the corner and have been for 2 weeks

Wow doesn't time fly, can't believe it's 10 weeks already! Yes she's probably feeling territorial and possibly doesn't realise he's neutered and is trying to put him off trying to mate with her again. I would get Wendy spayed and let her settle down for a while before trying to bond them again. I expect Jasper is just stressed because he was not expecting to be attacked and so is now attacking you because after that sort of thing happens, they tend to get very defensive and take the approach that if they attack first, they won't get attacked. Hopefully it will settle down; in the meantime, try not to touch Wendy in the same clothes that you then go to him, as you will be carrying her smell and that is likely to make him grumpy as he will associate the experience with that smell.

Back