• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthur is unwell :( any ideas?

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
He lost his appetite on Sunday morning and we went to OOH vet and he had a series of injections and perked up very soon after getting home, he's been fine since just a couple of odd shaped poops then this morning he wasn't eating again :( gave him some meds and an hour later no change so we went to the vets and they examined him... gut sounds completely normal, tummy soft, teeth are fine too, no abnormalities at all except for loss of appetite and a maybe a bit of a tender abdomen. He did normal looking poos after he stopped eating and before we got to the vets so I don't think it's gut issues necessarily...

Vet gave me the option of having him admitted so they could do syringe feeding and medications or me bringing him home to do it myself, I have brought him home as I thought it'd be less stressful for him, he's still still not right at all :(

One possible explanation is that he licked off loads, if not all of the ear mite spot on treatment from Lilly last Friday which was twice his spot on dose... the vet says usual effects of overdose from that drug are neurological but he has no signs of neurological symptoms so she's not sure if it is that but is worried it may be, he's going through a double moult at the moment so maybe he's ingested lots of fur and it's causing discomfort as it passes through his digestive system? He nibbles the sofa and carpet and cardboard maybe he ingested something like that, but his gut seems to be working fine so not likely to be the issue... not sure what else could be wrong, it could be anything!

If he's not better by tomorrow morning he's going back to probably be admitted :(

Oh and this all comes when my last student loan has gone and the next one is a few weeks away, my bursary has been spent on Lilly's ear treatment (which I will get back eventually from insurance but obviously don't have now), my car broke down yesterday just before it's MOT an now having to pay for it to be repaired, the MOT fee and 2 new tyres as it failed on those.... ARG I have no money this is ridiculous!!!! Car is costing £330 which is what I have in my bank account... I have an emergency vet fund which will cover Arthur's treatment if it doesn't get much more complicated... but that leave me for 2-3 weeks with no money... arg! I'm going to have to borrow money and I hate borrowing money :(

Poor Arthur! Do you have any of his favourite foods to hand to tempt him? Or does he like fresh stuff from the garden or something? Paws crossed for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing is working for him (I have treats, broccoli, coriander, carrot and his food in), I'm going to keep up with zantac, emeprid, metacam and recovery feed, if he's still not eating tomorrow morning he's going to be admitted and they'll do investigations, if it is a gut issue or some illness that just needs time then the meds will keep him pain free and his gut working and the recovery feed will keep his gut working too until it passes and he's better, if they're not working there must be something underlying to be causing him to not fancy any food so he'll have bloods taken and anything else needed then. Vets said to let the treatment regime have 24 hours to see if it's making a difference, if he's improving but not better to give him another 24 hours, if he's no better then he'll be admitted

I'm giving him 5mls of recovery feed every hour, is that enough or should I try get more in him?

Lilly is sat with him keeping him company

He's just had one piece of coriander, a few bites of broccoli and a few biscuits from his breakfast, he's also gotten up and is looking more alert now, but still won't finish a whole piece of broccoli and is turning down more that the first piece of herb and is turning down his treats, he won't put up a fight Lilly when she comes and steals his broccoli either

I'm wondering if it's his treats? They're good quality treats though :/ but I started feeding them last Thursday or Friday and then he was first ill on the Sunday... they're these ones, I thought Burgess was good though, and they're just teeny bits of apple with parsley and thyme on, he's had those three things before

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CA3020/burgess-excel-apple-snacks

Sounds like something underlying to me, Skye did the whole 'getting better, getting worse, getting better' thing, and it was because she had an underlying problem for which the only symptom was stasis (and runny poo). So treating the stasis was working in the short term but wasn't treating the actual issue.

Vibes for Arthur :(

Sounds like something underlying to me, Skye did the whole 'getting better, getting worse, getting better' thing, and it was because she had an underlying problem for which the only symptom was stasis (and runny poo). So treating the stasis was working in the short term but wasn't treating the actual issue.

Vibes for Arthur :(

Yeh it may be something underlying :( he's not had any runny poos though, no weight loss, no stasis (vet said his gut sounded very good), if he gets better I think I'll take him in on Monday and get blood tests to rule out at least some things, then if it happens again I'll make sure he gets more blood tests and X-rays or CTs or whatever he needs. The vet has a feeling it might be a reaction to the medication he ingested which he shouldn't have though which is not nice, but at least it's not something underlying

He's perked up suddenly and started eating the cat scratcher! I picked him up and plonked him on the litter tray and he's been sat munching hay with Lilly for a while now :D still turning down any broccoli or other food though... but he's started improving so hopefully he'll continue....

Oh and he's now climbing and jumping on furniture and looks overly excited... literally less than an hour ago he was exhausted and really really drowsy and turning down all food :/

The vet said the medication he ate would cause neurological symptoms but that could include loss of appetite and drowsiness so lets hope that is just it

He just accepted broccoli from me :D I think we'll be able to have a vet free weekend! I'll take him on Monday for a check over and hopefully some blood tests

I just don't get how quickly he's turned around.... from being drowsy and only responsive if I really annoyed him and refusing all food to him running around the room, eating hay and climbing on furniture was 15 mins......

Don't think his appetite is fully back but it's getting better and better, os touch wood he'll be ok!

He just accepted broccoli from me :D I think we'll be able to have a vet free weekend! I'll take him on Monday for a check over and hopefully some blood tests

I just don't get how quickly he's turned around.... from being drowsy and only responsive if I really annoyed him and refusing all food to him running around the room, eating hay and climbing on furniture was 15 mins......

Don't think his appetite is fully back but it's getting better and better, os touch wood he'll be ok!

I don't know how old your bunny is, or when he last had bloods done, but if it were me I would probably start by running a full blood profile. Expensive I know, but kidney failure (for whatever reason - EC, toxic, age) can show up and be a big reason why bunnies keep going off food. There could also be other issues which show up, and it's the least invasive way to begin with diagnostics.

Good luck :)

I don't know how old your bunny is, or when he last had bloods done, but if it were me I would probably start by running a full blood profile. Expensive I know, but kidney failure (for whatever reason - EC, toxic, age) can show up and be a big reason why bunnies keep going off food. There could also be other issues which show up, and it's the least invasive way to begin with diagnostics.

Good luck :)

Taking him for bloods on Monday :)

Back