• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fat Fluffs needs your help

What help do they need.link doesn't say?
.I thought they have just managed to buy a lovely new property in the countryside and have moved..are they needing help getting sorted there?

There's a shared link on their Facebook. They may be forced to close down because the rescue isn't seen as just a 'hobby'. There's more to it, will post more info when I get home.

What help do they need.link doesn't say?
.I thought they have just managed to buy a lovely new property in the countryside and have moved..are they needing help getting sorted there?

Just saw a post by them that basically says they've got a hearing to do with planning permission for the property next week and the planners are recommending it's refused, which means the whole rescue may have to close.

Omg that is awful :( I was there yesterday, it's an amazing rescue! (not there to get more rabbits before anyone gets excited, just helping out with cleaning)

I volunteered there for a good 2.5 years. It was great and I met lots of nice people. Each and every rabbit received the best care. I'd be very sad to see it all end.

If everything ends up alright I'll be continuing to volunteer so if you're ever back there volunteering I may meet you!

I can understand why the council think retrospective planning permission is needed, but I cannot understand what possible reasons they have for recommending the refusal of it???? :? :(

Ahem, I should now confess I am a professional planner. The reason for refusal relates to Very Special Circumstances for development in the Green Belt. Will have a proper look later and see if I can suggest some thoughts...

Ahem, I should now confess I am a professional planner. The reason for refusal relates to Very Special Circumstances for development in the Green Belt. Will have a proper look later and see if I can suggest some thoughts...

Thanks for the information! I forgot there's a lot of restrictions on the green belt, but for non permanent outdoors dwellings which are basically well designed sheds/summer houses that other people in the vicinity could erect without planning permission I feel as though they're just annoyed as they see it as a business but I just don't get why you could object to a charitable organisation! But who knows, I don't actually know any of the legal stuff involved, law is not a strength of mine!

to be honest shouldn't this have been checked before the move?
I hope they can maybe find somewhere less rural where they don't need to fight to get their plans realised.
Their plans are great but green belt does need protecting?
Sorry this all sounds very negative not meant to be as I know they have great ideas for the future, just maybe the wrong place for them ?

Last edited:
The focus of any comments need to be on why that location, why they couldn't go elsewhere - whether on financial, operational etc grounds basically a site selection exercise rather then comments on amenity/operations. There is no objection in any other terms from what I can see.

I assume that they will be turning up and speaking at committee. If they can't put a case together on VSC then they need to appeal strongly to members - labouring hard on the good work they do.

Last edited:
why couldn't they go elsewhere? why green belt area? if we know why they made that choice maybe our comments will have more punch?

why couldn't they go elsewhere? why green belt area? if we know why they made that choice maybe our comments will have more punch?
Agreed honeybunny, the planners don't have an issue with the operation per se in terms of impact, it is all to do with demonstrating they CANNOT operate sufficiently from a non GB location

well that could be the problem as they did before? Why do they have to be on green belt land? This all seems a bit odd? lets hope it gets sorted, what a nightmare for them :(

to add, surely now they are in situ they have a better chance of it being passed. If the local residents don't mind and support them that will go in their favour so maybe that's who they need to seek out

Last edited:
Agreed honeybunny, the planners don't have an issue with the operation per se in terms of impact, it is all to do with demonstrating they CANNOT operate sufficiently from a non GB location

Think I understand now, although I did read it differently, I read it as they were now classing it as "more than a hobby" and that was the issue, if it were just a "hobby" then the sheds would be allowed, which is why I thought it was ridiculous

I still think it should be allowed, especially since sheds are non-permanent outdoor structures rather than permanent structures which are rightly restricted on the green belt, but I don't know or make the rules on that so my opinion probably doesn't count for much.

I assume you are right and the issue is why on GB and not elsewhere because you seem to know what you're talking about, I have no idea their reasons for why they couldn't go elsewhere but I hope they have good enough ones for the council. Only thing I can think of is that properties not on the green belt with a garden large enough to house many rescue rabbits and still have a personal garden will be very difficult if not impossible to find... but I assume the council will say find somewhere else and have less space to rescue rather than be on the greenbelt and have 32 units :( I hope something is sorted

it is just sad as I'm sure they put such thought into it..I just don't know why this wasn't sorted before the move? If they had made their plans open then that should count as if first given go ahead it would be highly unfair to then withdraw it?
As said the need for the locals to support them should be main priority as the councillors rely on local support themselves

This is insane. Our council is building a 1,100 home estate on the greenbelt land opposite our house, yet another council is going to refuse permission for a couple of sheds for a charity to do it's work.

I honestly hate councillors more and more by the day :(

If everything ends up alright I'll be continuing to volunteer so if you're ever back there volunteering I may meet you!

I can understand why the council think retrospective planning permission is needed, but I cannot understand what possible reasons they have for recommending the refusal of it???? :? :(

Hi Funny Bun. Would love to go back and help out again in the future if still possible.

I'm hoping local news will get involved as they've published articles on FF before. I know FF won't give up without a fight.

This is insane. Our council is building a 1,100 home estate on the greenbelt land opposite our house, yet another council is going to refuse permission for a couple of sheds for a charity to do it's work.

I honestly hate councillors more and more by the day :(

It's ridiculous isn't it

Back