• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best place in car for carrier

Julia123

Warren Veteran
This might sound like a daft question, but is there a best place in the car for a carrier? A less stressful one?

Due to the size of the carrier (Atlas 40) I currently have seats down and use the boot but am wondering of the front seat is a less noisy option?

Where do you put your carriers?

Front seat and strapped in unless oh is in car then it's back seats strapped in unless dog is there as well and then it's boot but I try to secure it to the back of the seats if that is the case.

They get stressed regardless :( the levels don't seem to change depending on where in the car they are.

I always put on top of a pillow on the front seat, I believe that the extra padding from the pillow helps absorb some of the bumps and vibrations. We have fat bums that help absorb the movement so I just give them a pillow bum :D

I prefer front seat as I can see what they're doing, but some folks prefer not to have carriers in the front cos of the risk of the airbag injuring them in the event of a crash. When I have more than one carrier they go on the back seat. I avoid the boot if I can because it's bumpier in there.

I'm glad I posted now :) didnt think about the air bags and a pillow is a good idea. I have a 3 door car so the back seat might be difficult but the best option. Will have a practice with the empty carrier. my vet is less than 10 mins up the road but got a longer trip coming so just planning ahead.

ETA I usually use the front seat with the smaller carriers, but this is for the big one.

You can temporarily turn the passenger airbag off in most cars :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's only me in the car he goes on the front seat with a seatbelt (the carrier has loops for a seatbelt.)
If someone is with me I hold it on my lap so that I can talk to him.

We're only 2 minutes from the vets though so it's not a long journey.

I usually put them on the backseat - wherever I put the carrier I always use the seatbelt.

If its just me ...then the front seat...there is no 'good' place in a noisy old mini (and no air bag to worry about). ..If I'm with hubby in his car then I'm in the back with the buns.
Just where ever feels safest at the time.

Mine always go in the front seat, if it's me and OH in the car then whoever isn't driving sits on the passenger seat with the bunnies on their lap most of the time although they have gone in the back seat too, strapped in and if we have lots of luggage because we're going away they'll be lodged in to limit the movement of the carrier

Molly always goes into the front seat with the seat belt on. If OH is with me and he is driving then I will hold the carrier on my lap.

I managed to fit the carrier on the passenger seat - just! Moved seat back and then forward again once in. Was completely wedged so a bonus really as no belt needed. I do think they were calmer, so must definitely be less noise up front! Will look at my manual and see how to turn air bags off before next trip out. Then to add a pillow and I think we are sorted!

Only thing I'd like to improve is stopping the front grille from rattling, but thinking adding a blanket in front while wedged might help.

Thanks! :wave:

What annoys me is wanting a water bottle attached to the grille but also not wanting it to drip everywhere as it shakes in the car :lol:

I put mine in behind the front seat: better centre of gravity. Also, it fits perfectly behind my seat because I'm tiny! If we have both, one behind my seat and one strapped in the back if OH is with me, or I move his seat if he's not there (he's tall!). I think I'd be too distracted with them in the front!

Back