• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Musings on rescuing and rehoming...

FondueKid

Alpha Buck
On reading recent threads it got me thinking about several things;

1. Is it rescuing when an individual takes in an animal, gets them well (neutering, vaccinating, maybe bonding) and finds them a new home? Or should this be left to rescues? Does this private rescuing impact negatively or positively on rescues (ie does finding good homes for animals who then don't take up rescue space offset removing the new owners from the pool of people who can adopt from rescue)?

2. If three above does have a positive impact, does your opinion change on this if the person has cared for these animals for an extended period of time, or if the animals were not initially thought of as fosters to be rehomed (eg I know someone who has rehomed horses she initially intended to keep to people who had a genuine connection with that horse and where both parties benefited)?

Interested to hear opinions :)

I think if an animal is rescued from a situation, brought back to health, neutered etc, then found a good home, it does not matter who rescued the animal. We can all do our bit when the opportunity comes along.

Back