• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fluff, fluff everywhere.......don't throw it away though...

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
Collect it up and put it somewhere for the birds to use as nesting material.

Delilah my conti x always has a spectacular moult so the birds around here will have plenty of fur to line their nests with. As for Delilah.......:roll::roll: Perhaps one day I ought to do a show called the Di and Delilah Show, as living with her is never boring or dull......she is well............Delilah!!!!!!!!

I'm keeping Amy's so that I can get it blended with normal wool, get it spun into yarn and get my mum to knit something.

Don't do it with human hair though: some wrens got hold of my 2-foot-long hair when I was a kid (we used a bath strainer to collect it and threw it out the window) and we found a nestling strangled, dangling on the end of it, from the nest in the kitchen roof... :shock: We binned it after that!

A couple of years ago we started the princess peaches charity for the provision of bunny fluff for homeless and nesting sparrows. Seem to recall it had a much better title than that. Will try and find it on parsleys original blog

I collect Bob and Kizzy's fur for my mother in law who belongs to a spinning group. Although both buns have fairly short hair my mother-in-law is confident she won't have a problems combining it with suitable fleece. It'll probably take years to collect enough fur and I suspect it'll be 70% Kizzy and 30% Bob. Bob's a proper boy who doesn't like being groomed but Kizzy sees a brush and throws herself down demanding to be pampered.

I always throw fluff to the birds. There is a great wodge of it on the kitchen roof at the moment although it isn't getting that much interest yet. We often see rooks swabbling over it in the spring.

The other thing the birds like is the rabbits' water bowls. When we made the mistake of filling them before I bedded the hutches and putting them on top of the hutches so I didn't drop bedding in them they all got used as baths by a flock of magpies. I think they go into the hutches to get drinks too during the day. I often see rabbits chasing birds away, and some of the bowls are always full of bits. Once I found several with pieces of bread in them that some birds were soaking for later.

I tried putting Tully's fur out for the birds a couple of years ago, but it just ended up blowing around the garden :(

I tried putting Tully's fur out for the birds a couple of years ago, but it just ended up blowing around the garden :(

I've tried this too with the same result :( maybe our garden birds are just very picky? :lol: A shame because I could do with less of it up my nose!

Flippin' Delilah......if she smells other people's rabbits on their clothing, what does she do.............absolutely diddly squat!!!!! The same does not apply to me......just me........ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So when I'm brushing her, I have to wear clothes that don't smell of any other bunnies or else I am in big trouble. Her teeth hurt. Oh Delilah.......:roll:

I've tried this too with the same result :( maybe our garden birds are just very picky? :lol: A shame because I could do with less of it up my nose!

Same here!!

I put it out when it was nice and sunny, it blew all about the garden, then a few days later it rained and I had soggy fur stuck all over the place!!

We have a pair of blue **** that nest in one of our boxes every year. After the fledglings have left I clean the box which usually has a nice thick pad of moss intertwined with bunny fluff, rather like a thick felt pad. Amazing what hard work these little creatures do

I always stuff bunny fluff into one of those square fat snack holders and hang it from a tree. It stops it blowing around the garden and the birds just pull out what they need.

Back