• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Referral to RVC

Unfortunately Scrappy's tear duct has become blocked again, this is the second time this has happened since I adopted her in September :( She has been on penicillin injections again for the last couple of weeks and there is no longer any weepiness or discharge. However my vet and I have agreed that we need to get to the bottom of why this is recurring, so she's being referred to an expert in rabbit dentistry at RCVS. I'm waiting to hear back from them to arrange an initial consultation and then we'll be looking at x-rays or scans of her teeth, or whatever else they advise. My hope is that we can identify the main cause so, even if it can't be eliminated completely, we might at least find the best way to manage it in the future. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome of the consultation. In the meantime, she seems well in herself and is being very cheeky which I find very reassuring! She managed to climb to the top of my chest of drawers this morning and head-butted my tacky ornaments onto the floor :lol:

Last edited:
Fingers crossed that the cause is found and is easily sorted :thumb: she sounds like she is feeling fine :lol:

Is it the St Beaumont in Camden Town? (RVC not RCVS!) I go to university there!
Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it - best of luck!

Hi all

We had the consultation this morning which went quite well. The vet had a good look at the inside of her mouth. The good news is that her teeth are worn down well on the inside (thank you Burns Oat hay!) so she won't be needing a dental for the time being. The vet suspects it may all be down to the teeth roots so she's booked in for a CT scan under sedation or GA at the main hospital in Potters Bar on Thursday. I have to drop her off at the Camden campus at 8 and they'll drive her up themselves and hopefully back down again at the end of the day. I will be anxiously waiting for news on Thursday and no doubt spending most of the day pacing up and down :(

She did have her incisors removed before I adopted her, but they only got the main part of the tooth so the roots are still there. If that's the cause of the problem then she said they might try and fully remove them. But if it's the back teeth then they wouldn't be able to and it would be a case of having to manage the problem as and when it occurs.

They were hoping to do a culture test but the antibiotics and eye drops have worked a bit too well so for the time being there is no discharge coming from the eye they can take a sample from. May have to wait for it to flare up again before they can do that.

Otherwise the vet said that Scrappy was in very good health - weight is fine, nice full tummy and lots of gurgling noises. :)

Thanks Tracy and Pet's Mum :wave: The vet phoned this evening and they're having problems with the machine so the scan is being pushed back to next Thursday. I'm quite pleased with that actually as it means she'll have a bit of more of a break and won't have to go through two big vet visits in one week. Obviously I'll be keeping a watch on her in case it flares up again between now and next week.

Just a quick update following Scrappy's CT scan yesterday. The scan shows that the root of the incisor she had removed on the left side is blocking the tear duct. Unfortunately as there is not much tooth regrowth they don't have enough leverage to take it out. The referral vet said that it would be better to not try and remove the root as it would involve drilling into her jaw bone which could cause more problems than it would solve. So for the time being it will be a case of managing the problem as it arises, plus regular dental check ups to see if the problem tooth will regrow (realistically may be unlikely now as she said that if it were going to regrow it would have done so by now).

So good news in that we at least now know the cause, but bit frustrating that we can't fix it once and for all for the foreseeable future. She's well in herself today and is eating well and pooing.

We finally got the medical records through from her old vet (think the confusion was our end actually because it turns out they were making the request under my name rather than the previous owner's). Unfortunately they hadn't had Scrappy spayed. So that is something I will need to arrange with my GP vet as soon as feasible.

Back