• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ive decided to reduce my numbers down to 4 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

moi

Mama Doe
I took on too much, I only planned on having 2, 4 at a push. But ended up with 7! Buster has been rehomed and Misty died so I just need to look for a superb home for my Timmy. It breaks my heart but hes so lonely and I dont want to go down the route of replacement everytime a rabbit passes away :(

seems eminently sensible to me.

people must think I'm a rabbit-hater. I'm not, quite the opposite. but I think that here on RU we get carried away with what we think we could and should do and end up taking on too much.

seems eminently sensible to me.

people must think I'm a rabbit-hater. I'm not, quite the opposite. but I think that here on RU we get carried away with what we think we could and should do and end up taking on too much.

Thanks happybun. I was silly for taking on too much, just wanted to help . But it was wayyyyyy to much. 4 is a good number x

Thanks happybun. I was silly for taking on too much, just wanted to help . But it was wayyyyyy to much. 4 is a good number x

4 is an eminently good number!

At least the buns here on RU will be given up to a lovely home. It's not good for any of us to take on too much, but we often do, sadly xx

I completely understand, I also took on to much and had to rehome my bunnies a while back. Big hugs to you xxx

I'll get flamed for this but I'm not bothered. This whole excuse of 'taking on too much' is becoming more and more common. YOU make the decision to take on these animals, they are YOUR responsibility. Until death, in my opinion. I don't understand why there is so much sympathy, how is it acceptable to think Oops silly me, took on too much so I'll just pass this poor living being onto someone else!? The mind boggles. It really does.

Ps This is not aimed at the OP in particular - it's aimed at everyone using this latest excuse.

I'll get flamed for this but I'm not bothered. This whole excuse of 'taking on too much' is becoming more and more common. YOU make the decision to take on these animals, they are YOUR responsibility. Until death, in my opinion. I don't understand why there is so much sympathy, how is it acceptable to think Oops silly me, took on too much so I'll just pass this poor living being onto someone else!? The mind boggles. It really does.

Ps This is not aimed at the OP in particular - it's aimed at everyone using this latest excuse.

Surely it's better to rehome animals that for whatever reason a person is unable to cope with than to keep them and not care for them properly ? It is one thing taking on a lot of animals and then realising your mistake and rehoming them responsibly. What I would have a problem with (not that what anyone else does is any of my business) is rehoming animals and then taking on yet more animals a few months later. We can all 'get it wrong' in taking on more than we can manage. I dont think everyone should be demonised just because they recognise their mistake and try to rectify it whilst always having the animals welfare as priority.

Surely you would rather the pets went to homes where their all round care would be improved?!

Moi, I know you are a brilliant bunny mummy and you're doing this for the right reasons. Xxx

I must admit this seems to be becoming more popular lately. :(

I don't know the circumstances in this case so I don't have an opinion, although I do understand somebody rehoming a single bun because they don't want to end up with an endless cycle of having to get a friend for a bun who has lost theirs.

Couldn't agree more with this. Sorry but people should be able to refrain theirselves from taking on more animals when they aren't fully 100% committed to accommodating and caring for the extra numbers. It's completely preventable. I too don't think it's fair to pass your responsibilities on to other people, they shouldn't be expected to pick up the pieces for you. I have no sympathy for people who use this excuse for something that was out of their choice and free will.

Surely you would rather the pets went to homes where their all round care would be improved?!

Moi, I know you are a brilliant bunny mummy and you're doing this for the right reasons. Xxx

But their care shouldn't need improving. If you take on an animal, you take it on for life. It is your responsility to give that animal everything that it requires.

But in this case (of Moi) the reason is Timmy can now have a chance of being with a female rabbit instead of being alone. That's surely got to be a step up for him? And Timmy is certainly Moi's responsibility until he is acceptably rehomed, which she admits is heart breaking.

I think each case for rehoming is different. Kind hearts trying to do their best is different from a toy for the children and they got bored (which is where most of my rescues seem to come from!)

I honestly struggle to see how grown adults think for a second that this excuse is acceptable. I know that despite the fact I would love more rabbits, that I have enough money, time, space etc for two. Therefore I have two. It's not hard?

The story goes... I rescued Peggy and Tonic, then was asked if I could take in Benji who had just killed his brother (neither of them were neutered so you can imagine), I then took on bunny to pair up with Benji and that was gonna be it. Then I took on Timmy for a young girl who was to ill to care for him, and then got Misty. And then was asked to take on another bunny which was Buster, I tried to bond him into a trio, risky I know but it seemed to work. Until he ripped peggys lip in half and ripped off part of her chin :( I could have looked after him for the rest of his life, but he would have been lonely and I wasnt comfortable with trying to bond him with another of my buns again. He now has a amazing home with a lovely wife so Im so happy for him. Timmys partner died, if she hadnt have died I wouldnt even be thinking about rehoming, Id have said to myself 'moi your a twonk for taking on to much, but hey ho deal with it'. But as she has died and now Timmy is alone and I DONT want to keep going down the route of replacing bunnys when I now can see 6 is too much for me I think its best he goes to a home where he can have a wife again. Or I could keep him and let him live a life of singledom till he dies.

I honestly struggle to see how grown adults think for a second that this excuse is acceptable. I know that despite the fact I would love more rabbits, that I have enough money, time, space etc for two. Therefore I have two. It's not hard?

For some people it may be. Life is not black and white. People can take on animals for a multitude of reasons. Their hearts are in the right place but their mind-set, for one reason or another, may not be.

I would like to just point out that my bunnys care is top notch. Huge homes with all they ever need. I didnt just pick up bunnys from breeders and pet shops. I took the buns from homes that COULD NOT care for them or there needs. And like I say, if Misty hadnt of died I wouldnt even be thinking this, but I dont want Timmy living alone x

But in this case (of Moi) the reason is Timmy can now have a chance of being with a female rabbit instead of being alone. That's surely got to be a step up for him? And Timmy is certainly Moi's responsibility until he is acceptably rehomed, which she admits is heart breaking.

I think each case for rehoming is different. Kind hearts trying to do their best is different from a toy for the children and they got bored (which is where most of my rescues seem to come from!)

This :wave:

For some people it may be. Life is not black and white. People can take on animals for a multitude of reasons. Their hearts are in the right place but their mind-set, for one reason or another, may not be.

We clearly aren't going to agree here as we have massively differing opinions. Life isn't black and white, you are right. But in this case, I think it absolutely is. Something is either your responsility for the duration of his or her life, or they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back