• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does a shed really need to be insulated?

Bess&George

Warren Scout
Hello! :wave:
We've decided to move the rabbits outside but can't reach a decision about the shed/kennel we want. I'd like to get a wooden dog kennel and insulate the indoor part. My OH has been reading online about insulating sheds and has concluded that you can't efficiently insulate a wooden shed, that you'd be better off getting a plastic one as this is easier to insulate and seal and more hygienic as mould would be easier to clean if it appears.

Really don't like the idea or the look of plastic sheds, so was wondering if you actually have to insulate the shed part, could you just have some sort of box/den/hutch filled with straw inside the shed and maybe insulate that?

My OH is very stubborn and I'm not sure I can convince him that it's feasible to insulate a wooden shed, he says it can't be done properly and is therefore waste of time. If anyone has any good arguments or links that prove it actually works please let me know!

I think I've seen pictures here of sheds that weren't insulated, so is this really an option?

Last edited:
Plastic ones are too cold: the thin walls of plastic sheds have nothing on the air-filled bubbles inside wooden planks.

It's not necessary, but it depends on your microclimate. You'll need a shed that's draft-proof as insulating can help prevent that too, so you're looking at tongue-and-groove/shiplap style, not overlap which warps and gets drafty quickly. You'll need to site it out of the sun as insulation can stop it getting too hot as well as too cold (the only reason I've done mine!). Having a hutch or large hidey-box inside is one of the best alternatives to full insulation. :)

ETA there're some picture of my efforts here.

One of my sheds is borded on the inside with ply the other isnt. Neither are insulated. They both have hutches inside with loads of hay and straw that the rabbits like to go under. They make their own nests with a mix of hay straw and their fur (x).

Plastic isnt breathable and not a good idea for livestock.

One of my sheds is borded on the inside with ply the other isnt. Neither are insulated. They both have hutches inside with loads of hay and straw that the rabbits like to go under. They make their own nests with a mix of hay straw and their fur (x).

Plastic isnt breathable and not a good idea for livestock.

Thanks for the responses!

Do you just leave the nest as it is for long periods, or do you change the straw frequently and they just build a new nest every time?

No, it's not necessary to insulate a shed. In fact, a badly insulated shed is worse for a rabbit than an uninsulated shed. You HAVE to make sure that a fully insulated shed has sufficient ventilation, otherwise it sweats and gets damp and mouldy. Far better is a DRY shed, with a nice snug place to hide and bed down if the bunny wants to.

My bunny vet always maintains that cattle in an open-sided shed, with a howling gale blowing through, are far healthier than cattle in an enclosed but 'moist' environment. It's the same for bunnies. They cope well with cold and wind but not with damp or wet.

So it's nice to insulate a shed (or hutch) for your own peace of mind, as long as it's done properly. But you certainly don't need to.

A plastic shed would be prone to condensation if used for housing livestock such as rabbits. Condensation makes for a damp environment in which moulds etc can grow - which is not good for bunnies. I would also be worried about the speed at which they might be able to chew their way out, which would put their safety at risk.

A wooden shed made of tongue and groove timber would be safer. You could use something like an old hutch without doors and stuff it with hay or straw as a warm shelter inside the shed. Check it regularly (eg daily) to make sure it is clean and dry and clean out as necessary.

Thanks for the responses!

Do you just leave the nest as it is for long periods, or do you change the straw frequently and they just build a new nest every time?

I pull it out and check for poo/wee but try not to change it too often.

Great info, thank you. Think we won't bother with the insulation now, will just provide some nice warm straw-filled hutch/wooden box and hopefully they'll be fine. :)

No they dont need insulation...they are rabbits they can hack cold weather like there wild relatives....its man whos wanted to make them soft. All I would do is draught proof it because obv in wild there warrens are draught proof.
My 2 are 24/7 outdoor free range...they have a shed if they feel like it with cosy areas but they prefer there natural warren theyve dug under the shed :shock: Cats are not a problem as my bunnies box cats ...and we dont have foxes so for the past 4 year they have lived a totally natural lifestyle :D so I wudnt insulate the shed....

For insulating and boarding, I agree with what everyone else has said. Although the cheapest of sheds, overlap, would likely need boarding inside as it will have more draughty gaps than shiplap or tongue & groove.

We had an overlap shed, not used to keep rabbits in, but it leaked in several places, so I would definately go for tongue and groove.

Back