• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert's Op & BRC ring removal

PippaC

New Kit
Rupert went in for his neuter today. He's recovering well, thank goodness. At the moment he is flaked out on the sofa :)

I asked the vet to remove the BRC ring around his back leg as it seemed really tight. They managed to get it off, but said it was so tight they could barely get anything under it to remove it, and it's started to dig in to his leg muscle.
Why does the BRC insist on these rings?! It seems really silly. My other rabbit, Sprinkles, had one removed when I first got her because it was restricting the tendon in her leg. Surely these rings aren't a good idea?! With all the work people do to take care of their buns, it seems crazy to use these horrible rings.

Have any of you had problems with them?

Rupert went in for his neuter today. He's recovering well, thank goodness. At the moment he is flaked out on the sofa :)

I asked the vet to remove the BRC ring around his back leg as it seemed really tight. They managed to get it off, but said it was so tight they could barely get anything under it to remove it, and it's started to dig in to his leg muscle.
Why does the BRC insist on these rings?! It seems really silly. My other rabbit, Sprinkles, had one removed when I first got her because it was restricting the tendon in her leg. Surely these rings aren't a good idea?! With all the work people do to take care of their buns, it seems crazy to use these horrible rings.

Well he looks gorgeous beyond belief!

So sorry about his leg ring. Don't get me started about breeders :evil: Do they care about rabbits? Hmmmmm ....

Ringing is totally unnecessary and often can cause problems. I believe it to be an outdated practice when there are now other methods of identifying the Year of Birth of the Rabbit and specific Breeder. Being able to trace a specific Rabbit's origins is a good thing ,for the Rabbit as much as for any future care givers. But IMO it should no longer be done by Ringing.

Ringing is totally unnecessary and often can cause problems. I believe it to be an outdated practice when there are now other methods of identifying the Year of Birth of the Rabbit and specific Breeder. Being able to trace a specific Rabbit's origins is a good thing ,for the Rabbit as much as for any future care givers. But IMO it should no longer be done by Ringing.

what a beautiful bunny. i am so glad that you had that horrible ring removed. my sister was not so lucky with her house bunny. by the time she realized some thing was wrong it was to late the vet had to put her bunny to sleep. that was many years ago. we went back to the breeder and ask why they should put one of the those contraptions on it's leg, my sister only wanted the bunny as a pet not to show or breed. we did give the breeder a good telling off, not that she cared. apparently the ring is suppose to open up as the bunny grows but this one was faulty. anyway enough about that horrible time. just so glad that your bunny will not suffer the same fate.

Ah that is so sad about the ring. I don't think it should be allowed. The photo is soooo cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back