• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

saw myxomatosis today

Rita

Warren Scout
I was out walking the dog and saw a very poorly rabbit with myxomatosis. i live in the Gloucestershire area has any one else seen any sick bunnies around.
when can i get my bunnies vaccinated they are only 10 weeks at the moment.

You can get them vaccinated now. The vaccine is safe from 5 weeks :wave:

It's a horrible illness isn't it :(

You can get them vaccinated now. The vaccine is safe from 5 weeks :wave:

It's a horrible illness isn't it :(

As Hele says, a terrible thing to happen ... The vaccine takes three weeks to kick in, and with the start of the Spring (and fleas/mozzies etc) it's all the more important.

thank you for that, made interesting reading. i will wait until they are a little bigger. do you think they could be spayed and have the injection at the same time or will that be to much for them.

I would not want them to have a vaccination and neuter at the same time. In order for the vaccine to be effective it needs to produce a good immune response from the Rabbit. This may be jeopardised if the Rabbit is subjected to the physiological stress of a neuter at the same time. I would get the vaccinations done ASAP. They remain at high risk until three weeks after the vaccination has been given.

thank you for that, made interesting reading. i will wait until they are a little bigger. do you think they could be spayed and have the injection at the same time or will that be to much for them.

To be honest I wouldn't do the spay and neuter/spay at the same time. A vaccination stimulates a rabbit's immune system response, and would therefore put some strain on his/her system. Although many vets do the two things together, it would be your prerogative to suggest you prefer to wait for the spay. The vaccinations take three weeks to be fully 'valid', so if they were my buns, I would vaccinate first, then spay after at least three weeks.

To be honest I wouldn't do the spay and neuter/spay at the same time. A vaccination stimulates a rabbit's immune system response, and would therefore put some strain on his/her system. Although many vets do the two things together, it would be your prerogative to suggest you prefer to wait for the spay. The vaccinations take three weeks to be fully 'valid', so if they were my buns, I would vaccinate first, then spay after at least three weeks.

thank you all for all your information. so glad we have this website.

Back