• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training new bunnies

Rita

Warren Scout
hello all, just some advice on litter training my two bunnies. i have a tray in the corner but they wee next to it. so i cut the front off it so they can walk onto the tray and that seems to work, for some reason they wont climb into the tray. the problem is they poo every where but not in the tray. how can i get them to poo in the corner with the wee. they are still only young 10 weeks. they came from not clean cages from the breeder where there was poo and pee everywhere. will they get better as they get older.

Just keep at it - put all their poops in the tray and mop wee up with kitchen roll and place in the tray too. Most bunnies like to eat hay as they poo so put hay on top of whatever substrate you use and try putting a hay rack above the tray too. Good luck.

Just keep at it - put all their poops in the tray and mop wee up with kitchen roll and place in the tray too. Most bunnies like to eat hay as they poo so put hay on top of whatever substrate you use and try putting a hay rack above the tray too. Good luck.

thank you for your good advice. i do have a hay rack but they seem to eat the hay from their bed more than the hay rack.
they sit around their food bowl and poo. do you think i should put the food bowl in the tray so that they will poo there. perhaps i should put a little shelf by the tray and put the food bowl on there.

I scatter all their greens/pellets into their hay (no food bowels) so that they take longer to eat it. It is a kind of entertainment for them as well.

Thanks for all the tips, I came looking for litter tray training tips too. Didn't realise not being neutered could make a difference, mine are both still very young so not had this done yet. Bella always wee's in hers, or the majority of the time anyway which is good. Alfie tends to change where he goes and seems to prefer using his litter tray as a seat and going to the toilet anywhere but in the tray. I've started moving their wee and poops into their trays so hopefully they will start using them for everything.

Back