• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dutch or mini lop

k@ren

New Kit
Hi

I know every rabbit is different, so I'm asking for experience rather than what's expected. I'm going to look at some babies next week with a view to buying one in a few weeks when they are ready. But can't decide between dutch or mini lop. So..... experiences please on these breeds, what they like with children (closely supervised of course), temperament, health etc. Thanks.

With babies there are no guarantees! Temperament or health wise!
However, mini lops are more prone to teeth problems than Dutches due to their squished faces.

I adopted one of my rabbits, Rose, age about 10 weeks over a year ago. On meeting her she sat nicely on my knee.. Not a chance of that now!!

Many people think babies can get 'used' to handling etc if you get them when very young. My other rabbit Humphrey came to me unwanted at a year and a half old. His previous owner picked him up all the time and had done since he was young (8 weeks ish), but he still hated it (and she had the scratches to prove it).

Would you be open to a bonded pair of rescue rabbits? Already neutered, vaccination and bonded (saving a LOAD of hassle!) and rescues will be able to tell you all about their temperament. :thumb:

Last edited:
I haven't had a Dutch but I have had mixed breed lops and as you say each rabbit is different and I have had one that changed personality when grown up. From experience baby rabbits (although very cute) either from a pet shop or breeder are not the best to start off with especially as you can't guarantee their personality will remain the same and health issues will be unknown. I was still in school when my sister and myself were given our first rabbits and tbh it would have been better for us to have had older bunnies that were happy being around kids.

Personally I would go to a rescue rather than a breeder and ask them for older bunnies with personalities that would fit in with your family rather than go for a specific breed. The added advantage of this is that the rescue would already be able to point out any health issues and the bunnies would be ready neutered for you without all the worry that organising that yourself entails. If you still want baby bunnies however there are quite a few in rescue as well.

Whereabouts are you? The rescue I support had lots of baby lops in, so I would definitely try a rescue first, rabbits often come in pregnant. I have a mini lop so I'm biased but I have been told by vets that they don't know of any mini lop that doesn't eventually get dental issues. I don't know about Dutch rabbits. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw. I would look round a rescue anyway, you may be drawn to a breed you didn't even think about or a particular rabbit you may just fall in love with. I wanted a blue or black rabbit "no patterns" but once I saw Doughnut I just wanted her. I also wanted a boy as was told they follow you around the house and I thought that was pretty cute. Fortunately I have a girl who follows me around the house and who I often trip over but I still think it's cute so you can't go on generalisations really. It is helpful to go on the size of the rabbit though depending on how much space you have available although little ones need a lot of space too!

In my experience breed is an almost non-existent indicator of personality/temperament. There are vague indications e.g. dutches are often very intelligent....but it's not really worth expecting a rabbit's breed to suggest how it will behave, it's nothing like how it is with dogs. Good luck picking a bun though :)

I've not found any rabbit particularly good with kids - unless they are quiet, still kids with lots of broccoli :lol:

Hmmmm, decisions decisions lol. I am going to pop up to the local animal rescue centre to check who they have that needs a new home. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions lol. I am going to pop up to the local animal rescue centre to check who they have that needs a new home. Thanks for the replies everyone.

That's a really good idea.The rescue will have sussed out the temperament of the adoptable rabbits and they come already neutered and often bonded which takes a lot of stress out of having new bunnies.

As others have said with a rescue you will know if there are any health issues etc with a breeder you often don't.

What about a dutch marked mini lop? I love Dutch bunnies but have never had one. I did have a dutch marked nethie as a teenager though....

I've not got enough experience to say but I know peanut-toffee on here had a lot of dutches so she maybe able to tell you about them.

Great idea! My latest rescue was a mini lop. Haven't had one of those for years. Goodness he's a character - feisty, loving and totally wonderful. I got him because the family got a dog and he was then stuck in his cage alone for 8 months till advertised on the free ads.

Good luck I think this is your best plan you can see their characters then as with humans each are individuals regardless of breed

Well, as bunnies like company I think the best solution is probably one of each, that way you don't have to choose :) You can mix breeds, rabbits don't have a preference.

I do recommend trying a rescue (or several) aswell though, they often have babies and recognisable breeds, but some of the crosses are gorgeous - lops with dutch markings or one ear up and and one down, a bit of extra fluff etc. so many unique looking bunnies and plenty of personalities too so you can usually find a good match. Having them pre-neutered makes a big difference too, you can avoid the terrible teens with the pooping, spraying etc.

rhkLnx

Can't wait for this little man to come home. Sorry he's not a rescue, but you know when you see one and fall in love..... but I am planning on getting him neutered and will then rescue a bun. The centre have said they'll help with bonding so that's good.

Last edited:
rhkLnx

Can't wait for this little man to come home. Sorry he's not a rescue, but you know when you see one and fall in love..... but I am planning on getting him neutered and will then rescue a bun. The centre have said they'll help with bonding so that's good.

Aww that's brilliant.. And completly agree, as soon as you see their little faces look up at you, you can't say no! :love:

Really sorry can't see the the picture, but bet your so excited! Xx

I've let my granddaughter pick the name, he's Olaf. Can yo guess her favourite film lol. And don't worry I am taking sole responsibility for him, she can help feed etc but i'll be doing all the work :)

I've let my granddaughter pick the name, he's Olaf. Can yo guess her favourite film lol. And don't worry I am taking sole responsibility for him, she can help feed etc but i'll be doing all the work :)

Haha brilliant!!! And I love it, really suits him :love:

Well I'm sure he'll bring you loads of happiness xx

Back