• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The hay experts….are their treats safe for rabbits?

ImoT

Mama Doe
I would like to get some healthy treat things for Winston. I currently give him herbal forage from pets at home (woodlands brand), and he gets lots of hay, fresh herbs and veggies, the occasional bit of fruit and some pellets. I know lots of 'rabbit treats' on the market aren't actually safe for rabbits but i've heard the hay experts mentioned on this forum quite a lot and it seems very good….so what about their treats?! Are things like their 'breakfast cookies', 'cornflower and daisy sticks' and 'carrot and cornflower roller' actually good for them? Or should I just stick to their more herbal forage type things? What about their gnaw stones as well?

I don't want to give Winston something that ultimately isn't good for him, even if he does think it's yummy!

I only get their bags of blackcurrant leaves and dried plantain and things like that. I always have a wish list with them for toys and dried treats. Their postage is pricey but they are very efficient. I get a big order of stuff every few months.

Hungry bun is starting to do healthy rabbit treats which I would love to try sometime.
https://hungrybun.com

Ah wow hungry bun looks amazing….although maybe a little expensive?!

Wow I am really shocked at how expensive the postage is for the hay experts :/ I'm tempted to bulk buy but i'm not sure what the shelf life of their products would be? If I bought 6 months worth of treats or something would it all last that long?!!

I never bother with bags of dried forage, my two aren't particularly interested in them anyway and I think a lot of the treats are a waste of money as they're not giving any nutritional value. Mine love a fenugreek crunchie every now and then which you can get from the hay experts but a lot of pet shops sell them too.
Once spring/summer is here you can dry your own forage for next winter if you want to treat him :)

I never bother with bags of dried forage, my two aren't particularly interested in them anyway and I think a lot of the treats are a waste of money as they're not giving any nutritional value. Mine love a fenugreek crunchie every now and then which you can get from the hay experts but a lot of pet shops sell them too.
Once spring/summer is here you can dry your own forage for next winter if you want to treat him :)

I have thought about foraging my own forage later in the year, but I live in quite a built up area so not sure if there would actually be much around and I don't know if I would trust myself to pick something that wasn't poisonous, even with photos and double checking etc! He seems to love the woodlands things and it has finally got him eating more hay so I would like to keep encouraging him :)

I forage loads in the summer but don't have the space for drying and storing loads in winter. My two go mad for the crinkle of a cellophane bag. If I didn't believe the contents to be healthy then they wouldn't get them. My MIL bought them loads of junk for Christmas that went straight in the bin.

I forage loads in the summer but don't have the space for drying and storing loads in winter. My two go mad for the crinkle of a cellophane bag. If I didn't believe the contents to be healthy then they wouldn't get them. My MIL bought them loads of junk for Christmas that went straight in the bin.
Oh yeah, I meant the cookies and rollers didn't have much nutritional value, not the forage. One I looked at had egg in which seemed strange?!

Okay thank you for your advice, I will steer a bit clear of the things that are biscuity or roller-y…I have found another website called Barks and Bunnies (it was posted in rabbit chat a bit earlier) that has but cheaper postage and some really yummy looking forage so I may buy some of that :) I know it's more expensive than foraging myself but at the moment it isn't really the season for foraging and I wouldn't trust myself just yet to pick things that are definitely safe.

The Hay Experts own brand forage are fantastic and I think they are superior quality to all others that I have tried and you get more in the packet than others. I am very happy with all I have tried and I've tried with most of the different things.

Delivery is not cheap but it's superior quality in my opnion as you usually get a timed delivery slot and if you are ordering quite a lot it works out worthwhile.

I would recommend on so many levels, not least on Lisa's attention to detail and high quality customer service.

Last edited:
I can second the comment that their own brand packs of forage are much bigger than any other brand I've tried, making them much better value for money!

I quite often get a little surprise (for the buns) thrown in with my orders too, which is a really nice touch :love:

Amazing range, I love The Hay Experts.

I got my first Hay Expert delivery at the weekend there and I must admit so far, so good. I had clocked the postage was expensive so I ordered up until the postage went up a band and got a massive box of stuff - mostly their own brand as far as the 'treats' were concerned - beetroot, rose, parsnip, barks and that sort of thing - lots of hay and litter. Also got some hay cookies which are good - I try to stay away from the processed stuff though so a treat to them is a slice of banana or cube of beetroot, that sort of thing - they're all over that shiz :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly wouldn't want to give Winston anything processed!! It is very tempting to buy him some forage and things thought! 'Barks and Bunnies' do sell the Hay Experts products and offer free delivery if you spend over £45 so I might buy some things through them (they sell lots of other things I need too like nail clippers and things) and then I am still supporting the Hay Experts too!!

I certainly wouldn't want to give Winston anything processed!! It is very tempting to buy him some forage and things thought! 'Barks and Bunnies' do sell the Hay Experts products and offer free delivery if you spend over £45 so I might buy some things through them (they sell lots of other things I need too like nail clippers and things) and then I am still supporting the Hay Experts too!!

I'd never heard of 'Barks and Bunnies' (what an odd combo?!) but went and looked at their site.

Spend £20 and get free delivery for first timers ... I never buy my buns treats, but the hay and plantain looks good :D

I'd never heard of 'Barks and Bunnies' (what an odd combo?!) but went and looked at their site.

Spend £20 and get free delivery for first timers ... I never buy my buns treats, but the hay and plantain looks good :D

You just ruined my justification for spending over £45 :p I hadn't seen that I only actually need to spend £20 for free delivery!!

Back