• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning to all those who are insured through Help U cover

catherine09

Mama Doe
When a bunny turns 5 they automatically increase the excess to the original £50 to £50 plus 25% of the total value of the claim

They called it an 'age related excess'.

Just a heads up incase anyone wants to move sooner rather than later with buns that have no medical history (before they get one and you start getting exclusions).

I plan to move Noah to either Pets@Home or Petplan on his next renewal.

Thanks for the warning - I was considering moving to Help U Cover but will stick with P@H (much as I hate the shop) as it is still good value and have never had problems with them paying out.

is there a link to where it says this? just want to take a look- ive only been with them for 3 months lol is this a recent change?

Thanks for the warning. My insured bunnies are 3 or younger so will move them on next renewal. Only been with them for 3 months :roll:

Thanks for the warning, that's worrying :/

I will have claimed once for Arthur, he licked off all Lilly's spot on ear mite treatment the other night and then lost his appetite out of hours :( so will changing to a new company mean I'm no longer insured if he stops eating?! That would be ridiculous! (he's absolutely fine now, some pain relief and anti emetic later and he was running around, not even a single abnormal poo so I really think he just felt nauseated from the medicine)

Only ever claimed for Lilly's ears (well not quite claimed yet, will do after our next check up), so only ear mites/infections will be excluded, I'll have to work out what I'll do for her, whether it's worth changing companies or not... If I change just Arthur though I lose my multi pet discount (one month a year free each)

I'm afraid that's becoming increasingly common, the pah policies do exactly the same. It might not be 25% of the claim value but the overall excess is higher and it might be 20% of the value of the claim, I'd have to check when I get home.

I'm afraid that's becoming increasingly common, the pah policies do exactly the same. It might not be 25% of the claim value but the overall excess is higher and it might be 20% of the value of the claim, I'd have to check when I get home.

My 3 P@H policies have a 10% of claim surcharge, which is annoying, but 25% is quite significantly higher!!

My 3 P@H policies have a 10% of claim surcharge, which is annoying, but 25% is quite significantly higher!!

my 10 P@H policies are all 'only' 10% too, even for Dinky who is 7 years. I really hope they don't increase their excesses as high as everybody else is doing :(

So far PetPlan have just increased my excess by £10 per year. So at age 7 is £90ish. I believe they sometimes impose percentages too. Very annoying. They should tell you this before you take out the policy

So far PetPlan have just increased my excess by £10 per year. So at age 7 is £90ish. I believe they sometimes impose percentages too. Very annoying. They should tell you this before you take out the policy

Was the rabbit already 7 at the time of the renewal? They told me it's automatic that there is the 20% on top of the excess when they are 7. I know premiums vary with different areas but I thought something like that didn't vary.

I also agree with they should have given this information at the start, I may have made a different decision if I'd have the full information.

Back