• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bobo - slow gut but still eating and pooping

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Poor Bobo had a visit to the vets this morning - he hasn't been eating as much as normal and just something was off so decided a vet visit was in order.

I didn't take him - hubby did - and apparently they had the vet sprawled on the floor whilst a nurse did her best to hold him wrapped in a pink towel :lol: - he is a right little sod at the vets:love: But they did such a good examination on him - 40 minutes which I've never had at my old vets...I love Trinity!

It is a strange one though - he is still pooping but not in the same quantity as usual and dropped a few poops whilst at the vets. He is still eating - but not quite with the same gusto as usual and not as much. He doesn't appear to be in pain/uncomfortable (but we know what buns are like in that regards) and is as bright and fiesty as ever. His teeth are also fine. But the vet couldn't hear many cecal sounds at all which is a worry.

He's had pain relief and gut stimulant at the vets and liquid too (although the vet didn't think he was dehydrated - it's just as a precaution) - and have been sent home with metacam and cisapride and critical care - althought how on earth we're supposed to get these into him is anyones guess. The vet didn't want to keep him in as he is obviously a stressy bun and thought he'd do better at home with his Harley. But they are just around the corner so if he gets worse we'll take him straight back.

If there is no improvement in the next couple of days - we will take him back and they will sedate him and run more tests.

Not a happy boy this morning :(

Poor boy :cry: Is he moulting ? Whilst fur is a 'normal' finding in a Rabbits GI tract it can cause problems for some Rabbits if their gut motility is already somewhat reduced and they then ingest a lot of fur. It's excellent that he was given fluids. Even if there are no clear signs of dehydration fluid therapy initiated at the onset of GI tract hypomotility/gut stasis can be an enormous help. The contents of the GI tract rapidly dehydrate when gut motility is decreased. This then exacerbates the problem as dry ingesta is far less likely to move. Also, if it is his cecum that is on 'go slow' fluids will be especially beneficial.

Lots of vibes being sent for him xx

Poor boy :cry: Is he moulting ? Whilst fur is a 'normal' finding in a Rabbits GI tract it can cause problems for some Rabbits if their gut motility is already somewhat reduced and they then ingest a lot of fur. It's excellent that he was given fluids. Even if there are no clear signs of dehydration fluid therapy initiated at the onset of GI tract hypomotility/gut stasis can be an enormous help. The contents of the GI tract rapidly dehydrate when gut motility is decreased. This then exacerbates the problem as dry ingesta is far less likely to move. Also, if it is his cecum that is on 'go slow' fluids will be especially beneficial.

Lots of vibes being sent for him xx

Thank you Jane. Yes he and his missus are both moulting - and I am brushing them as much as they will tolerate. Bobo isn't the greatest of hay eaters (so relieved his teeth are okay) so that doesn't help if he is ingesting alot of hair. Just very grateful we have good vets now - makes a world of difference.

Ah I love Trinity too and Bobo. That second photo made me sad, bless him. Does Bobo not like metacam, Doughnut loves it. Not so keen on cisapride but I mix it with the metacam as it is literally a drop! At least he was hydrated. I still have to sometimes resort to weetabix which is Doughnuts favourite.

Hope Bobo improves quickly.

Oh poor boy, he does look rather sad in the second photo!

It sounds like he's had excellent treatment at the vets and I really hope he picks up soon. Keeping the gut hydrated, as your vet mentioned, is paramount especially in cases of stasis, whatever the cause.

Glad his teeth seem to be in good order. Sometimes it's difficult to get to the reason why stasis happens and we just have to get them through it.

Ah I love Trinity too and Bobo. That second photo made me sad, bless him. Does Bobo not like metacam, Doughnut loves it. Not so keen on cisapride but I mix it with the metacam as it is literally a drop! At least he was hydrated. I still have to sometimes resort to weetabix which is Doughnuts favourite.

Hope Bobo improves quickly.

I don't know yet - I certainly hope so - will be giving him some tonight and hoping he takes it voluntarily - and if so, then we will do what you do with the cisapride. Otherwise it will be the towel, straddle and fight method :lol:

Oh poor boy, he does look rather sad in the second photo!

It sounds like he's had excellent treatment at the vets and I really hope he picks up soon. Keeping the gut hydrated, as your vet mentioned, is paramount especially in cases of stasis, whatever the cause.

Glad his teeth seem to be in good order. Sometimes it's difficult to get to the reason why stasis happens and we just have to get them through it.

He does look a bit 'poooorrrrr me :(:(:(:(' doesn't he - just wish they could understand why we are shoving them into a box and subjecting them to prodding and poking and nasty needles :(

Metacam is honey flavoured so Doughnut says yum! Doesn't Bobo like weetabix. She much prefers it to muesli and would have it every day if she could. I just crumb a little bit up and the medicine soaks in.

Much better thank you...very bright and grunting for food. And a lovely pile of poops.😀
I think it is down to hair ingestion...he produced loads of 'bracelets' yesterday so we need to try and get him eating more hay somehow.

Hubby gave me a full run down of Bobo's visit at the vets - hubby told vet that Bobo is a feisty wee devil, and thankfully the vet listened and called for reinforcements - the nurse quickly wrapped Bobo up in a towel before he knew what was happening, so just his head was sticking out and they all sat on the floor with him - the vet being flat out on her tummy whilst examining his teeth and listening to his tummy etc :lol: So wish I could have been there to take photos.

The vet was then dispensing the meds - and asked hubby would he like 10ml bottle of Metacam (and shook her head) or a 35ml bottle of Metacam (and nodded her head):lol: - so now we have plenty of metacam for any future stasis episodes - at least we can give buns pain relief whilst sorting out vets and stuff as I hate having an animal in pain and not being able to do anything about it.

Hubby gave me a full run down of Bobo's visit at the vets - hubby told vet that Bobo is a feisty wee devil, and thankfully the vet listened and called for reinforcements - the nurse quickly wrapped Bobo up in a towel before he knew what was happening, so just his head was sticking out and they all sat on the floor with him - the vet being flat out on her tummy whilst examining his teeth and listening to his tummy etc :lol: So wish I could have been there to take photos.

The vet was then dispensing the meds - and asked hubby would he like 10ml bottle of Metacam (and shook her head) or a 35ml bottle of Metacam (and nodded her head):lol: - so now we have plenty of metacam for any future stasis episodes - at least we can give buns pain relief whilst sorting out vets and stuff as I hate having an animal in pain and not being able to do anything about it.

Oh wonderful update! I have to smile about the vet being on the floor. I haven't ever known a vet do that - it's a first :thumb:

Glad to hear about the bracelet poos too. So much better out than in :lol:

Ha !! My Vet often examines Rabbits on the floor. It did prove to be something of a challenge when she was heavily pregnant :shock: But she managed it all the same.

Ah pleased Bobo is feeling better. It's nice to have the medicine on hand in case of emergencies. I feel it gives me a bit of time to gadge how she is and to get there in time if she doesn't pick up. We need a photo of a happy Bobo now after that sad photo.

The guy at the vet hospital got down on the floor with Doughnut as even though she was very poorly she still wasn't going to be picked up so nearly came off the counter, so he put her on the floor on a towel instead. Mark doesn't have any of her nonsense, he holds her up like a baby or tucks her under his arm which makes me laugh.

Back