• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range house buns + adding more?

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
I did say no more rabbits, so this is just wishful thinking, but I've totally fallen for a pair at my local rescue (silly me having them on my facebook)

molly and Faline are sort of free range on the top floor of our house,they have their own small bedroom 8x7 ft) which they are shut in at night (no cage) and when we are both at work but when we are home they have free range of the hall and my craft room which is also on the top floor. They choose not to come down the stairs.

I was thinking if it was possible the new buns would have to have a pen set up in my craft room but would it be fair on my two to deny them access to an area they previously had?

how do others do it with house buns who are not 'confined'. They couldn't go anywhere other than the top floor as they have wrecked it and my OH wouldn't trust them elsewhere but is beyond caring about the top floor.

http://www.animalconcernwest.co.uk/other-animals/4584010181
Titch and madge

Last edited:
I've not had this situation with indoor buns, only with outdoor bunnies. I had Apricot and Ginger (my 2 girls, both at rainbow bridge now :cry:) and I adopted Dandy and Beano (my 2 boys) both pairs had a hutch/run set up at first and I had no referred aggression from any bun, even when I put the runs close together. After a few months I bonded them into a quad (without any major problems) and they all lived happily until the girls died. Hopefully someone will be able to comment on indoor bunnies :thumb:

Would the 2 buns 'share' the hall space (out at different times) or would the new buns be confined to the craft room and the older buns just have the hall space? And if it is the later - can you replace the lost space with lots of toys/tunnels/boxes and stuff so the buns still have as much fun and activity?

The only thing is that if they do share the hall space at different times - each pair will have a wonderful time marking their territory and you will have loads of poops and wee!
We have a similar situation where the buns don't come down stairs and have all take turns in the hall way/landing and spare room (called the bunny pub) - and we've had to cover up all the floors with picnic blankets to protect the new carpet but even then the wee has escaped through and we have little orange/yellow corners. We have accepted this as part and parcel of having buns and neither of us really mind (once we'd gotten over the 'oh nooooo ...our new carpet is ruined :shock::shock::shock:) and I spend a part of each evening poop collecting (which I do enjoy purely as I usually have some helpful bun shoving their nose in my face :love:)

If you could eventually bond them into a quad - that would be an ideal solution.

It's a difficult one if you can't expand out of the existing area .. I have a baby gate to divide up my house and that works fine for free range house buns. It's a good idea to think about how much 'cross over' area there would be, and potential for poo and wee marking. That would make a lot of work for you. ...

Thank you for the info peeps. The way I'd work it is there is an area in my craft room about 3 x 9ft of 'dead space. No furniture and I can't walk into it as it's in the eaves so sloped. That would be the new buns pen and they'd have the craft room to run around in. I could baby gate the entrance to the craft room so Molly and Faline have the hallway and the rest of the craft room could be shared space. hm. The potential scent marking could be an issue and Molly and Faline will be 10 an 9 this year so I don't want to upset them.

I think I've decided I'll leave it for now and if they are still looking for a home after my wedding and honeymoon (beg of may) I will offer them one. But, I'm sure they'll be snapped up!

Back