• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pin worms again ( I think) I do not understand! Help.

Mini-lop

Young Bun
Help,

Gutted to find the two little articles on Biscuits poo tonight.
20150302_200842.jpg

20150302_203020.jpg

Neither moving and not really drying up, are they pin worm again as they look the same.
We found one on boxing day last year and he was treated with one course of Panacur, we thoroughly cleaned after finishing the course and steamed cleaned the environment.

Any ideas about what is going wrong and what we can do. What is the standard course of treatment? I think the last one was 9 days?
He is a house rabbit with no other contact with other rabbits or other animals and is 6 months old.

Last edited:
worms

hello

there is a place you could send the poo off to be examined. then you would now for definite what it is, and then what sort of treatment that would be best.

I have kept the two for the vets. What other treatments are there?

Nine days of Panacur (fenbendazole) should do the trick. There are other wormers, but ivermectin doesn't necessarily kill all the worms so would not be the treatment of choice.

Your vet should know all this. Good luck.

Nine days of Panacur (fenbendazole) should do the trick. There are other wormers, but ivermectin doesn't necessarily kill all the worms so would not be the treatment of choice.

Your vet should know all this. Good luck.

We did that originally, steamed and disinfected all areas after finishing the course but he has become re-infected even though he has no other contact with any other animals and is indoors all the time.

Does any one know if the dose should be repeated to stop re-infection? I have read about 10-14 days after the firs course, is that correct?

We did that originally, steamed and disinfected all areas after finishing the course but he has become re-infected even though he has no other contact with any other animals and is indoors all the time.

Does any one know if the dose should be repeated to stop re-infection? I have read about 10-14 days after the firs course, is that correct?

Yes sometimes a repeat course of Panacur is necessary to interrupt the life cycle. Or you could ask your vet about Piperazine - another effective wormer.

Taken from information on one of the links I previously posted. Red font denotes details of particular significance to your questions :-

Treatment may not be necessary if the pinworms are just an incidental finding, e.g. at surgery; treat if symptomatic or if the owner reports worms around the rabbit's anus. (B609.2.w2)
Treat any secondary perineal pyoderma. (B609.2.w2)
Recurrence is common, even if a rabbit is housed on its own because of the act of caecotrophy and therefore the rabbit will continue to reinfect itself. (B609.2.w2)
Larvicide / Adulticide Anthelmintics

Fenbendazole (J29.5.w1)
10-20 mg/kg orally and then repeat in 10-14 days. (B602.19.w19, B609.2.w2)
25 ppm in feed for five days was effective at eliminating both immature and adult pinworms. (J83.15.w3)
If individuals are showing reduced appetite due to severe infection, 50 ppm in feed ensures an adequate dose for all rabbits. (J83.15.w3)
Thiabendazole
50 mg/kg orally and then repeat in 10-14 days. (B602.19.w19, B609.2.w2)
Piperazine (B24, J29.5.w1)
Orally: 200 mg/kg and then repeat in 14 days. (B602.19.w19, B609.2.w2) OR
In feed: at 0.5 g/kg per day for two days, for adult rabbits; 0.75 g/kg per two days for juvenile rabbits. (B602.19.w19) OR
In drinking water: 100 mg/100 mL of water for one day and then repeat in ten days. (B602.19.w19, B614.11.w11)
It may be necessary to carry out repeat treatments. (B609.2.w2)
Treat all the rabbits in the environment. (B609.2.w2)
Note: Ivermectin is not effective against this nematode. (B600.16.w16, B603.3.w3, B609.2.w2, J1.32.w11, J29.5.w1)
Monitor faecal egg counts post-treatment. (B609.2.w2)

Back