• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cataracts removal for Charlie at RVC: UD Done - can see in one eye again!!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
We (or rather Charlie our blind rabbit!) have been referred to the Royal Veterinary School who are now carrying out operations for cataract removal on rabbits. We are very excited as Charlie has been offered the chance to see again. He is totally blind and has become very timid and sad - unlike some buns who cope well with semi-blindness or even blindness - he is finding it very very hard.

The cost is £1,350 for op and consultation and about £150 for revisits/checks and meds etc. The insurance will pay a lot of it - but as he is over 7 we have to pay the £100 plus 20% of the total (so about £400)

but just as importantly for everyone on here - it holds out hope to other buns who have cataracts - even of they are from EC.

They do both eyes for that cost - and obviously he has also had long term treatment for EC.

Very exciting . . . he has been referred form our vets and will see the RVC on March 11th and then have the op. booked!!

Cant wait for him to see again.

they do it just like human cataracts - sucking out the cataract and then inserting new one - WOW!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope all goes well for Charlie rabbit medicine soon moves on I remember when first found out Mowgli had cataracts he was elderly by then though but from discussions back then to reading your post does sound hopeful for Charlie and many other rabbits

That really is exciting, Keep us updated with how it goes. My old guy's 9 completely blind now and deaf but thought there was nothing that could be done for cataracts.

Oooh how interesting, my ears pricked up when I heard about the new service at RVC last year, so I'll definitely be interested to hear how it goes. Bertram has bilateral cataracts so I will definitely want to know how it goes, what the recovery time seems to be like etc. Hope everything (including the fundraising) goes well.

Good luck. My friend had her blind dog's cataracts removed a few months ago. Her dog has terrible diabetes so it was risky under the GA and she is an older dog aged 10. I had only ever known her dog since she was blind. The operation completely changed her, she is so happy, vibrant, naughty, cheeky and I guess you could say 'alive' since the operation. However she was dreadful the first week of recovery, then suddenly fantastic. Well worth it when you see the difference it makes.

Apparently the RVC are the only ones doing this technique for rabbits at present - a few years ago I believe that the AHT thought of trying something based on the work on other animals - but the RVC has developed it and is doing it regularly and successfully.

They know about EC as a cause and do not regard that as a problem.

very exciting . Will keep everyone informed as to how he is. -

Oooh how interesting, my ears pricked up when I heard about the new service at RVC last year, so I'll definitely be interested to hear how it goes. Bertram has bilateral cataracts so I will definitely want to know how it goes, what the recovery time seems to be like etc. Hope everything (including the fundraising) goes well.

We will find about more about it on the 11th when he goes for consultation - I know that there is quite a strict routine on eye drops for the first few weeks so one of us will have to be around a lot - think they are 4 times a day at first.

Not sure how good his eyesight will be once done - but at present he is totally totally sightless and cannot even tell light from dark so anything will be better for him.

Last edited:

Hi Santa - The cost for both cataracts appears to be only very marginally more than one - which is why Charlie is hopefully having both done. We have other buns that have either one cataract, or in one case. glaucoma, but they seem to manage ok. Charlie really struggles.

Thanks for the info :) Bertram copes extremely well so I don't get the same sense of necessity for him as you clearly have with Charlie, but obviously I'd love to know how it goes and then I can think about whether it's something worth discussing for him. Although he copes fine and still moves about as normal (he can still see light from dark and can see movement) it can't be nice for him.

Charlie cannot see anything at all - he bumps into things constantly and walks very very cautiously - in fact rarely leaves a small area.

Oh bless his little heart. I so hope it's a success for him :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie is going for his double cataract surgery this coming Monday - the 23rd march . . we are all very nervous - except Charlie - who doesnt have any idea its happening!!

Just to update everyone . .

Charlie went in on Monday-

They were expecting one side to be 'normal' and one side to be tricky - as on one side the cataract was 'loose' :

They started on the difficult side knowing they would have to make a bigger incision rather than just 'suck up' the cataract through a small hole - but the eye haemoraged straight away which apparently does happen in humans and is totally unpredictable (and gave the surgeon a hell of a shock as it was the first time it had happened to him with rabbit eyes).

They then stitched up quickly and turned him over and did the cataract removal and lens replacement in the other eye whilst the area was sterile - and then returned to the other eye to take it out altogether.

He had to stay overnight (he had a bunny friend with him) but came home yesterday morning -

He was eating etc straight away with us - and everything seems to be settling fine - but obviously at present we cant assess how well he can see from the remaining eye with the new lens as it takes time to settle.
Yesterday I could tell he could not see anything but today I think he can at last can see some things like movement. He turned towards me when I waggled a finger by that side and also his movements have changed so he is not quite so slow and anxious when he moves around!!!!

The operation was more costly than the estimate as it all took much longer and he had to stay the night as well (which was not planned).

ps it was decided to try for both eyes as they can often manage even the difficult ones and the cost was almost the same for two.

Sounds a horrendous and a delicate procedure. When my friend had her dogs cataracts removed it took at least a week to a fortnight for her to get full vision back. Everyday we would slowly and quietly pass objects past her face, it was slow at first but week by week she was able to see smaller and smaller things and her eyes would follow with more intent. It was amazing.

Goodness brave boy! So good to hear that he's getting the benefit of one eye. Well done for giving him the chance to see again x

Back