• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buddleia wood?

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Galinda is a nibbler- and we have a buddleia bush outside the front garden of the house. It was trimmed down a bit last autumn and we still have the sticks. Would they be safe for my girls (and my mum's guineas) to nibble on? I've tried researching it but everything about buddleia comes up as being an ideal "rabbit proof" plant for gardens as rabbits can't be bothered with it except in extreme circumstances when they have nothing else available to et. However, I've found nothing on toxicity of the actual plant/wood itself. If it's of no use, I'm happy to use the sticks for our veg patch, but if I can use them as toys, that'd be brilliant too.

It's not harmful, leaves or twigs, but mine aren't too bothered about it. Parsnipbun (on here) says it's ok and as an plant expert she knows :wave:

Galinda is a nibbler- and we have a buddleia bush outside the front garden of the house. It was trimmed down a bit last autumn and we still have the sticks. Would they be safe for my girls (and my mum's guineas) to nibble on? I've tried researching it but everything about buddleia comes up as being an ideal "rabbit proof" plant for gardens as rabbits can't be bothered with it except in extreme circumstances when they have nothing else available to et. However, I've found nothing on toxicity of the actual plant/wood itself. If it's of no use, I'm happy to use the sticks for our veg patch, but if I can use them as toys, that'd be brilliant too.

Buddleia is fine. I occasionally feed it to my buns when there's no forage around ...

its fine as wood - and even a few leaves - but I have found that too many leaves have a tendency to cause discomfort and to bunch up in the gut and cause slow down - so stick to the wood and then perhaps a few shoots of leaves, not too many all at once

its fine as wood - and even a few leaves - but I have found that too many leaves have a tendency to cause discomfort and to bunch up in the gut and cause slow down - so stick to the wood and then perhaps a few shoots of leaves, not too many all at once

Agree with the above. This is why I said I feed occasionally - it's not a good regular feed.

So they have twigs to play with and they certainly have done so, which is great. :D I also gave them both a little bit of fresh young leaves each too. Elphie chomped it down as quickly as she chomps down most food. Galinda was a little more reluctant but ate it in the end. I will definitely only feed it to them infrequently, but it's nice to know I have something that they like the taste of to give them now and again. :)

Back