• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New mother stops drinking and changes diet

Jonng

New Kit
My rabbit is a half lionhead, as in title she has recently stopped drinking. She has also stopped eating her dried food (burgesss excel). However, she is eating fresh cut grass and apple and greens. She gave birth to 7, 4 days ago, has clearly lost weight and I'm concerned about her litter. Her litter is warm, although I have yet to see them 'plump' after feeding. Advice please!

My rabbit is a half lionhead, as in title she has recently stopped drinking. She has also stopped eating her dried food (burgesss excel). However, she is eating fresh cut grass and apple and greens. She gave birth to 7, 4 days ago, has clearly lost weight and I'm concerned about her litter. Her litter is warm, although I have yet to see them 'plump' after feeding. Advice please!

You need to take the Doe to a Vet today. My concern would be that she might have an infection related to her recent pregnancy ie pregnancy toxaemia

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Pregnancy_toxaemia_lagomorphs.htm

She really cannot wait til tomorrow to be examined by a Vet. If you loose the Doe you are likely to loose all the Kits too

Last edited:
Back