• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ungrateful Sactuary!

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Had raised money for bird rescue sanctuary that also takes in a few bunnies. Had negiotiated 5 double tier 4 ft long by 3ft deep hutches to be made by a company for £50 each!! As they said as it was for a sanctuary. I was gonna buy 3 and get somw tubes, hay toys etc for buns. Having to constantly email owner to get info and pics I requested which took 2 weeks to get and as I was keen to place the order for the hutches I emailed my number and for him to call me on Monday. Still waiting for his call. Sorry mister my offer of help has expired. How ungrateful. Helping a sanctuary should not be difficult! My money will go to the sanctuary where my rescue buns came from tho might still get one hutch made for the one bun at the bird sanctuary as not fair he should miss out. There rant over !

That is a shame. Are they a busy place? Could it be that they are run off their feet with caring for the animals, or is it likely that they are just ignoring the messages?

I was going to say the same perhaps he has had an emergency or he is just busy , I'm sure there will be a valid reason maybe he's ill. It does seem strange that
he hasn't got in touch or answered your emails.

He has eventually replied to emails and i understand they r busy with the animals but when replying to the emails he doesn't answer my questions! I asked if he would be able to collect them and nothing. I have heard nothing from him since his email Sunday night u would think no matter how busy u r if someone was going to give u stuff u would be a bit more on top of the communication. Maybe I expect too much. I dunno but i have lost heart now.

What a lovely gesture :) I think it's a little unfair, forgive me if I've read it wrong but it sounds as if he needed to be able to collect the hutches? He may not have anyone available to do that, or any transport big enough, or the time to do it. If they're primarily a bird sanctuary then sadly the bunnies are unlikely to be top priority, which I guess may be one of the reasons you're trying to help. I think it's unfair to say someone is ungrateful if you're basically saying 'I've got a donation of something I think you need but you need to come and get it', as they may not be able to or if the configuration of what is offered doesn't fit with their space or plans. They could probably spend all day every day driving round collecting things instead of caring for the animals if they accepted every similar offer of help. Is there any way the hutches could be got to them instead?

Are the bunnies there for rehoming or are they there for life?

I run a sanctuary and I have very little time to keep up with emails. I am constantly weeks behind with them as I never get the chance to sit down on the computer and go through them as the animals have to come first. For me fb messages are easier as I can do them on my phone but I can't check emails. The number of times I have tried to put an evening aside to sort emails and paper work only for a bunny to get sick and not get the chance. Then another week passes. By which time I have two hundred spam type emails as well as the important ones. I am sure I end up missing emails but its never intentional and hopefully doesn't make me ungrateful. It is hard work running a sanctuary especially if you don't have volunteers to help with the paperwork side of things and the animals have to come first.

Yes i get what u are saying about lifting of hutches , being busy etc but I was told then to liase with the sanctuary manager and he was slow with communication also. Ok saying ungrateful is maybe a bit harsh. But he seemed very keen on going for these hutches and then nothing. He had asked for the hutch builder details and thats when i said to ring me as my emails were bouncing back sometimes. Surely a telephone call us not asking too much ??? The last he emailed me was a week ago.The buns stay there for life I think. But i will still go ahead and order a hutch for the bun that is still there. I was really excited to be helping but he said he would pay half of the hutch costs which is great but as he never rang me to pursue this i feel it's not up to me to chase after him. I wasn't expecting him to lift the hutches I was just asking if he could as he lives about 35 miles from where they are being made and i live about 65 miles away from it.

It almost feels like you took it personally, and like you feel he threw the offer of help back in your face by not being in contact?

I can vouch for the fact that sometimes fundraising and doing nice things for people can be a thankless task (I do stress sometimes....there are some very thankful people out there).

I generally just have to hope that what I do helps the rabbits in the long run and skim my thoughts over the fact that some people just don't get the time to say thanks.

But, I do get where your coming from feeling like you are offering help and it is not being accepted how you would like.

My main issue is i couldn't order hutches until I received info for the size of pens they had to ensure I didn't order hutches too long to fit. When I asked for pen measurements he gave me a size he thought they were but said he would have to check. It took two weeks of a few emails and then several telephone calls to the Manager to get the measurements but good job as I was for ordering 5 ft long hutches but they will only fit 4 ft long by 3ft deep. I stressed I wanted to get them made quickly as the current bun is outside in a hutch with no cover and it's still so cold. He does have daily access to the 16th run . I need correspondence with him before I can order and to see how we both can get our money to the hutch maker as they won't make them without a deposit. It's not personal as I can see the bigger picture which is still getting that wee bun a good hutch. If he won't get back to me how can I move forward with the order of 5 which he wanted?? I will just go ahead and order the one hutch for nowHe has my email and phone number. I won't be chasing him tho.

Back