• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you bond two females?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone,

I was planning on getting a husbun for Flo sometime soon as she needs the company.
One of my colleagues at work brought up that she was looking for a home for her female rex - who needed a friend. I said I was looking for a friend for Flo, and we're thinking maybe we can bond the two females. (She would like the rex to go to someone she can trust).
The rex sounds like she would be a good match - very chilled out and would accept Flo as the boss, who is very bossy indeed! Both would be spayed at the time (vet is going to check Flo's neutered status via endoscope soon)
We were thinking of taking them both to the vets where we work as this means they are not on each others territory. We have large kennels and a 'tub table' (like a doggie bath) which we could use there.

Would this work? Any advice?

Thank you!

Victoria & Flo x

Yes, you can bond two females. It's not always as simple as bonding a male and female but I have successfully bonded unrelated AND unspayed females (before I knew any better).

Spaying is really important as it will make them far less hormonal and territorial. Give them a few weeks post-spay to allow them to heal and for hormones to settle before introducing them. Then I'd treat it as a normal bonding and I would have no special tips for the fact that they are both does.

Thank you for your reply!
The rex is already spayed, just need to see if Flo is spayed or not now (she was abandoned so I have no history on her).
Let's hope all goes well!

I bonded 2 Dutch Does, Betty was 4 and Mary was 8 weeks old. They took to each other straight away and lived happily till Betty died earlier this month. :(

Yeah I thought it'd probably be more difficult! Only one way to find out I suppose!
The little rex is gorgeous as well, otter colouring. Not sure I can pass up the offer!

Back