• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay- what to expect, any tips?

BunnyBarn

New Kit
Well I have finally took the plunge this morning and booked Bluebell and Lilac into the vets for their spay next Friday. They are about 1 and 1/2 years old and I have had them now for about three months. I just wondered what to expect afterwards- how might they be, how long will it take them to get back to their old selves and what can I do to help them? What did you find most helpful?
They have now been in their new shed, after moving from their old hutch, for just over a week. I have to say that I think it has already made the bond between them and me so much stronger- they seem far more relaxed (twice I have gone in and panicked as Bluebell has looked so chilled out laying out on the floor or behind the litter tray I though she might be dead!) and Lilac especially is loving being stroked and having a fuss. I know I am doing the right thing getting them spayed but can't help feeling a little guilty about putting them through it :( So any tips, gratefully received! :thumb:

Hello. Well, the vets should go through with you any post op care they will need. Make sure the vets are confident in spaying rabbits and that they give you at least 5 days worth of oral pain relief (usually metacam, loxicom or meloxicom) the vets will give your bun an injection of pain relief before coming round from the GA which should cover them until the next day. They should also get injections of gut stimulants and antibiotics. When they first come home it will be important to keep them warm so make sure you have a small space to keep them in indoors. A dog crate works well or a savic cage/puppy pen etc. They will probably be quite sleepy and sore, so offer them a hot water bottle (only warm and wrapped in a towel) or a snugglesafe and lots of soft things to lay on. Give them a bowl of water as well as a bottle and lots of different tasty things to encourage them to eat. The main thing is to get them eating. I would expect them to start eating (or at least nibbling things) after a few hours of coming home. It took my girl a few days to really start eating with her usual gusto but she had a dental at the same time.

Thanks for all this, gives me a much better picture of the care they need. Thankfully, by the sounds of it, they are not going to be treated at somewhere that rhymes with Fompanion Fare! Xx

Keep them warm, remove any boxes and tunnels from their environment to prevent them climbing and jumping. Leave them alone for a wile to rest, give them a shallow litter tray so they don't catch their tummies on the side. Offer nibbles of favourite foods. Mabel's first nibble was parsley. Try to get them eating as soon as. Give pain relief as instructed by the vet. Check the wound regularly.

Thanks for all this, gives me a much better picture of the care they need. Thankfully, by the sounds of it, they are not going to be treated at somewhere that rhymes with Fompanion Fare! Xx

I'm really sorry that my post wasn't helpful, we lost our Skye as the place that spayed her did an awful job!!!
I will never, ever underestimate the importance of a good vet and I hope that your spay goes very well - as it should do!

I know you must keep them warm, limit their space, offer fresh grass, herbs and their favourite foods to encourage eating. I'd also give her some soft things to lay on - if she's a pee-er then check for wetness and replace.

It is possible that the muscle wall could be broken through, which would look like a type of lump which doesn't disperse when pushed. I'm not sure if this is common or not, but any sign of any bulging or swelling, please please go straight to the vets. It could be nothing but you could catch a problem and prevent any further issues.

Best of luck! x

Thanks everyone, I feel much more prepared and am off work on the day they go in so can spend time getting things ready for their return. Freakinfreak -it is useful to know where to avoid, it must have been terrible to lose Skye due to the vets doing an awful job of the spay. I spoke to our vets a few weeks ago and was quite reassured as I know there are some risks. It is good to know what to look out for afterwards too. x

Has the Vet seen the girls yet ? I only ask as from their photo they both look a little........errrmmmmm......'curvaceous' and I think I would want to try to get them slimmed down a wee bit before they are spayed. The anaesthetic risk is greater for any Rabbit carrying a wee bit too much weight. Of course if the Vet has examined them and says that they are both fine and a 'healthy' weight then just ignore me !! Photographs can be deceptive !!

Hope all goes well for them xx

The vet has seen them, we discussed the spay when I took them in for their vaccination. I do agree- it had crossed my mind that I think they are a bit curvaceous, especially Lilac, and that this can be a risk only occurred to me a couple of days ago. I will ask the vets about this before we go ahead, thanks for raising it. X

Don't take them anywhere that rhymes with Fompanion Fare.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this. Those practices are basically like a franchise, so it is not fair to tar them all with the same brush, as each practice is individually owned by one or more of the clinical staff at that practice and will hence vary in their ability with rabbits just like any other practice. Until moving house recently I used one of those practices for many years and it was excellent, best bunny vets in the area. It's just not fair to assume bad of every practice in a 'chain' (and it's not really even a chain as each practice is a separate business owned by one/some of the staff there) because of one bad experience, because that will be related to one individual vet and/or practice and not every practice which uses that branding.

Good luck with their spays, I hope all goes well. Yes it's always awful to see their little faces when you've chosen to put them through surgery but it's far better for them in the long run and it means they won't end up needing emergency surgery at a later date to deal with a cancer or womb infection. All the best xx

Back