• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with baby bunnies.

Could I have some opinions please? My doe gave birth a week ago tomorrow, the kits are really starting to get energetic now and moving around quiet a bit but they're on the top of a two tier cage and the bottom has lots of holes so mum is shut up the top with them. While she is out almost all day every day she gets restless at times from being away from the babies (I think) would i be okay to move the littertray (nest babies are in) into an indoor cage tray and put the tray in the front room with some bedding so she can run but still have access to the babies is she wants to? :)

i don't know much about baby bunnies, sorry, but just bumping this up for you so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help :)

I wouldn't chance moving the babies as Mum knows where they are and might not adjust to a different spot. Mums only need to feed their babies once a day so she could stay out or you could keep her in one day and let her out the next. You must make sure Mum is safe when "out" and no predators can get in to the babies. You need to make safe arrangements for when the babies start to explore as they will not have any sense of danger and if they can get through holes they probably will and you could lose them.

I wouldn't chance moving the babies as Mum knows where they are and might not adjust to a different spot. Mums only need to feed their babies once a day so she could stay out or you could keep her in one day and let her out the next. You must make sure Mum is safe when "out" and no predators can get in to the babies. You need to make safe arrangements for when the babies start to explore as they will not have any sense of danger and if they can get through holes they probably will and you could lose them.

They're indoor rabbits with a cover over the hutch so nothing can get in when mums not there. I was only going to move her and them to the living area but ill leave them where they are while she's out. Thanks very much :)

Back