• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new babies. but sad.

Rita

Warren Scout
hello all

today i collected my new baby rabbits from a breeder.
i am sorry to say that this is my first and last visit to a breeder.
i was shocked to see these beautiful rabbits in cages so small, and so many of them.
it was really sad.
is it all about money, surely not. they must care for them.
i have come away sad.

Unfortunately some breeders do use cages that we wouldn't dream of keeping our pets in, I can't understand it either. What's the point in having rabbits if they don't have the space to act like rabbits. If they were very small you could report it to the RSPCA or local council, if they agree they are too small they may issue an improvement notice. Unfortunately there aren't set measurements for breeder cages atm.

I'm so glad you will not be buying from a breeder again. There's so many rabbits in rescue and breeders just add to this massive problem. At least your new babies are free from their evil hands. I just hope they stop breeding but unless we stop buying, they won't stop breeding.

yes you are right. i should of gone to a rabbit rescue centre. i have learned a valued lesson.
i got all my ferrets from a rescue centre, so why didn't i go for the rabbits. I saw the lovely bunnies on the site and fell in love with their faces. but by going to a breeder i have only added to the problem. As we all know there is nothing more prettier then baby bunnies. but at least these two will have a huge cattery to play in and live. At the moment they will live in a hutch until they get a little bigger, i will then introduce them to their new home with lots of toys and tunnels to play in.

Oh Rita.. I don't know what to say except that you have saved those two baby rabbits... I wish you and your babies so much joy and happiness and best wishes for your lifetime of love and adventures ahead.

And you are now someone who has experienced, personally yourself, the breeding conditions and rabbit welfare situation in this country. I also felt terrible when I first became aware.. do try and turn your sadness into the strength, love and determination to help change these situations... whilst loving your babies.. they will teach you everything you need to know.. along with RU! X

yes you are right. i should of gone to a rabbit rescue centre. i have learned a valued lesson.
i got all my ferrets from a rescue centre, so why didn't i go for the rabbits. I saw the lovely bunnies on the site and fell in love with their faces. but by going to a breeder i have only added to the problem. As we all know there is nothing more prettier then baby bunnies. but at least these two will have a huge cattery to play in and live. At the moment they will live in a hutch until they get a little bigger, i will then introduce them to their new home with lots of toys and tunnels to play in.

Please don't feel bad, at least now you have experienced this you will know which direction to go in the future. :)

Your new babies home sounds amazing, they are very lucky! x

Back