• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pigeon with pneumonia - risk to buns ??

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I rescued this morning a sick Dove from the garden that the buns use. Vet says respiratory infection possibly pneumonia as it had discharge from its mouth . It received antibiotics and metacam and i placed it in a cage in my living room where the buns don't have access. Unfortunately the poor thing passed away a few hours later. I obviously had been washing my hands after handling the Dove but are there any airborne risks or in the garden as it was sitting under a bush? I am panicking incase my buns could catch pneumonia! !

No idea. Ring your vet and ask.

Bless you for trying to help the dove though, at least it died free from pain and in the warm having had pain relief and being in a house.

You could contact the south essex wildlife hospital, I take pigeons to them often and there is a bacterial infection they can often get, I forget the name. But they should be able to tell you any danger to bunnies.

My vet rang and said unless the buns came into direct contact with the secretions they would have a very very low risk of catching anything . That reassured me . I feed the doves daily in my back garden. Such gentle birds and beautiful . So sad this one didn't make it. It was just too ill.

Back