• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are Pro/Prebiotics so Expensive ?

Yes it is pricey. I always keep some Avipro in. It's £14.86 at Viovet at the moment for that size, free delivery if you can make the order up to £29.

I still don't understand how it works and why the stomach acids don't just destroy the good bacteria before they get to do any good.

Yes it is pricey. I always keep some Avipro in. It's £14.86 at Viovet at the moment for that size, free delivery if you can make the order up to £29.

I still don't understand how it works and why the stomach acids don't just destroy the good bacteria before they get to do any good.

I use it for the PREbiotics it contains. I actually dont believe probiotics are any use in Rabbits as, like you say, the very acidic stomach of a Rabbit will just kill off probiotics.

:shock: I've never bought any. Have you looked on Amazon/pet supermarket? Sometimes I find dog/rabbit food is much cheaper on those, don't know about other pet supplies

:shock: I've never bought any. Have you looked on Amazon/pet supermarket? Sometimes I find dog/rabbit food is much cheaper on those, don't know about other pet supplies

Viovet is the cheapest I can find. What with that and his liking of Peppermint Tea Lord H is living up to his title !!

It is ridiculously priced here too. Julie takes Bene bac plus. It cost $10.99 for a 15g syringe but it has made a world of a difference for her. She was loosing weight even though she eats nonstop. The vet suggested that we try the probitic/prebiotic and she started putting the weight back on almost right away.She is on penicillin injections for 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I give it to her on the injection weeks. Pricey but worth very penny. She is bonkers for the taste.
She loves mint from the garden treat. I keep meaning to offer her some tea.

Back