• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please - baby bunny advice.

Hi, I'm new here not sure if this is in the right section, sorry if not!
A few weeks ago I rescued a bunny, by rescue I mean the owner was just going to release her. She weighed 3lbs (should be 5-8) she was used as a breeding machine never allowed out of her cage, never been held, only fed cauliflower and lettuce wasn't allowed hay or grass. She was kept there for two years and had approx five litters - I do not know for sure this is all they have told me.
First thing I did was get her vet checked but due to her weight the vets advised me to wait 30 days before they could neuter her so I could get some weight on her before the operation.
Day 24, I go in have a look at her give her her usual greens all is well. Around two she comes out for her usual run around the front room (she's an indoor rabbit for the moment) I thought she looked on the large side but the vets had told me she wasn't pregnant so I thought nothing of it. She goes back in around four, I have a check on her at five and there is a crazy load of hair, a nest made and two babies. By eleven she had given birth to six but we lost one.
The babies are now currently six days old she's happy for me to go in and check on them, I weigh them all daily at the moment along with her. Thiugh she's starting to lose weight again, is this normal? I've slowly started changing her dry food as advised along with giving her extra food and hay. She is eating as normal more than normal, I'm just worried about her.
I do not know much in rabbits, I'm just after advice really what's the best food for mum? She's currently on burgess junior dry food and had herbs and a variety of veg. Is there a type of veg that's best?
Also is there an idea weight for he babies to be? When will they become active? What should I be ready for? Sorry for all the questions Google is just giving me a million answers most of the contradicting the other.

Hello

Goodness what a poor Bunny to have previously had such poor care. It is not surprising that she has lost some weight again now that she is nursing another litter.

She will have greater protein requirements at the moment, so the Burgess Junior food is fine. You will need to feed her more than you would feed a Rabbit not raising a litter. Some people even advocate feeding ad lib pellets, but I have never done so. I have tended to feed about twice the 'normal' amount divided into 3 portions throughout a 24 hour period. A+P Breeder/Grower pellets are good too. A dried grass such as Readigrass could be given too as that has a high protein content. Just introduce her to a small amount initially, as you would do with any new food type

Dark leafy greens can help increase milk production, but again dont go too OTT with the amount you are feeding. You could add a probiotic to her drinking water too. She may also appreciate a warm drink of peppermint tea. She will have a greater water intake whilst she is lactating.

There is no 'ideal weight' for kits, but they should all be gaining weight most days.

I hope that the Doe and Kits will thrive. I would not want to think about spaying her for at least 2 months AFTER her litter has been weaned. So about 4 months from now.

Good luck

just wanted to wish you and the buns all the best. i have no experience in this area but JacksJanes advice is good and im sure loads of other people will be happy to help too.

At the moment she usually has watercress, mixed fresh herbs, spinach, cucumber, spring greens, kale and baby corn.
She gets a teaspoon of oats over her dried food daily as well I was suggested this was good for weight gain.
Thanks so much for all of the advice, I will definately start giving her three lots rather than just the one big lot of food.
I will look out for readigrass but I've not heard of it before so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find it. They currently have September's cut of hay (I buy horse bales) it was the freshest I could get hold of this time of year.
The kits are gaining at least 10grams a day at the moment some a little more but mostly ten.
I will get her booked back into spaying in around 4-5 months.
Thanks so much again! :)
Thanks Lucy, I'm just so nervous s this is my first bunny litter.

At the moment she usually has watercress, mixed fresh herbs, spinach, cucumber, spring greens, kale and baby corn.
She gets a teaspoon of oats over her dried food daily as well I was suggested this was good for weight gain.
Thanks so much for all of the advice, I will definately start giving her three lots rather than just the one big lot of food.
I will look out for readigrass but I've not heard of it before so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find it. They currently have September's cut of hay (I buy horse bales) it was the freshest I could get hold of this time of year.
The kits are gaining at least 10grams a day at the moment some a little more but mostly ten.
I will get her booked back into spaying in around 4-5 months.
Thanks so much again! :)
Thanks Lucy, I'm just so nervous s this is my first bunny litter.

You can buy Readigrass online from here:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/readigrass.html

I buy mine in a larger quantity (15kg bale) from the Farm my hay bales come from. Most Equine Feed suppliers stock it

Back