• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had to have bunny PTS.. hutch mate alone now. advice needed

Rdgib85

Young Bun
Hello

I had to have my boy pts 2 weeks ago.

He developed ecuniculi and already had snuffles and went down hill so quickly.

His hutch mate is now all alone and has never been without company.

Unfortunately she brought the snuffles into their environment as she had it when I got her. I didn't realise she had it as she was seen in her home drinking out of a water bowl. When i questioned her wet nose I was assured it was just water from the bowl.

My boy went on yo develop it too.

Is there anyway she can have a new hutch mate?

Ive emailed a few rescues including the rspca to see if they have any buns with snuffles needing a home but none have replied.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Any advice? Or recommendations on my situation. My vet has advised against introducing a healthy bun to the setup which obviously I don't want to do as it wouldn't be fair. Do rescues even try to rehome snuffle buns??

Thanks

I am sorry that you lost one of your Rabbits. Has the Vet recommended you treat your remaining Rabbit with a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) given that your deceased Rabbit had EC ?

In my experience it is not always the case that a 'Snuffles' Rabbit will lead to a companion becoming symptomatic too. This especially being the case if the 'Snuffles' Rabbit responds to treatment and becomes asymptomatic. But I understand your Vet's advice and of wanting to try to locate a Rabbit with a similar history if at all possible. Many Rabbits are carriers of the various strains of bacteria that can cause 'active' Snuffles, but they do not exhibit clinical symptoms as their immune system copes. This may only change if challenged by a concurrent illness and/or environmental stress.

Alternatively is having your remaining Rabbit indoors as a House Rabbit an option ? The only time I would have a single Rabbit is if he/she lived indoors and had human company for most of the time. Obviously if no-one is home all day and/or if being in an indoor environment exacerbated the Snuffles this would not work. But it is another option to think about.

I would keep trying to contact Rescues, I am sure someone will get back to you ASAP xx

Last edited:
I am sorry that you lost one of your Rabbits. Has the Vet recommended you treat your remaining Rabbit with a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) given that your deceased Rabbit had EC ?

In my experience it is not always the case that a 'Snuffles' Rabbit will lead to a companion becoming symptomatic too. This especially being the case if the 'Snuffles' Rabbit responds to treatment and becomes asymptomatic. But I understand your Vet's advice and of wanting to try to locate a Rabbit with a similar history if at all possible. Many Rabbits are carriers of the various strains of bacteria that can cause 'active' Snuffles, but they do not exhibit clinical symptoms as their immune system copes. This may only change if challenged by a concurrent illness and/or environmental stress.

Alternatively is having your remaining Rabbit indoors as a House Rabbit an option ? The only time I would have a single Rabbit is if he/she lived indoors and had human company for most of the time. Obviously if no-one is home all day and/or if being in an indoor environment exacerbated the Snuffles this would not work. But it is another option to think about.

I would keep trying to contact Rescues, I am sure someone will get back to you ASAP xx

Thank you for your reply.

Yes she is on panacur and septrin. Her last bout cleared up after 2 courses and didnt return for well over a year.

I am home quite a bit so had considered making her a house rabbit. She's always been timid so not sure she'd like it with my 4 yr old charging about the house.

I got my boy back from cremation today. So sad :-(

Will keep trying rescues in the meantime and see if we have any joy x

Thank you for your reply.

Yes she is on panacur and septrin. Her last bout cleared up after 2 courses and didnt return for well over a year.

I am home quite a bit so had considered making her a house rabbit. She's always been timid so not sure she'd like it with my 4 yr old charging about the house.

I got my boy back from cremation today. So sad :-(

Will keep trying rescues in the meantime and see if we have any joy x

I would probably not attempt to introduce her to another Rabbit until she has completed her treatment anyway. Hopefully during that time you will establish contact with a Rescue xx

I would probably not attempt to introduce her to another Rabbit until she has completed her treatment anyway. Hopefully during that time you will establish contact with a Rescue xx

She is due to have a spay first anyway. He was neutered and now she's turned 3 she will be spayed. Once she's finished her meds this will be done. Then I will looking seriously at my options. I gave her a teddy. i have seen her groom it! Bless her.

I'm so sorry you lost one of your bunnies :(. Jane has given some sound advice there but I would only add that I've had a snuffle bun and none of her group of friends ever developed it. As Jane said, most bunnies carry the virus but it doesn't manifest itself unless certain situations occur. So don't give up on finding her a partner if you feel that she's not enjoying being indoors.

I'm so sorry you lost one of your bunnies :(. Jane has given some sound advice there but I would only add that I've had a snuffle bun and none of her group of friends ever developed it. As Jane said, most bunnies carry the virus but it doesn't manifest itself unless certain situations occur. So don't give up on finding her a partner if you feel that she's not enjoying being indoors.

Thank you for your rresponse. All rescues have now come back including RSPCAwith no rabbits that meet with my requirements. I think i will try and find her another partner once she's been spayed and finished her medication x

I'm sorry for your loss. Could you bring her in and put her in a quiet corner of the house cornered off and then let her out when your daughter goes to bed? Once she's been spayed and is in better health then hopefully you could find her a partner and then in the summer she could go outside again, especially since we are now getting warmer weather. Good luck anyway.

Whereabouts are you? Some of the larger rescues rehome nationally so it might be worth contacting them also.

When she is being spayed if she is not on antibiotics and still has nasal discharge I would recommend getting a deep nasal swab done by your vet at the same time. At least then you have a chance at knowing exactly what bugs are lurking there if any and what antibiotic is needed to clear it up. I have an elderly bunny with constant white discharge/sneezing and she is very near my trio of rabbits. Only 1 of them has picked it up and been treated for it in the past. I suppose it's like people getting colds...some will catch it and some will fight it off.

When she is being spayed if she is not on antibiotics and still has nasal discharge I would recommend getting a deep nasal swab done by your vet at the same time. At least then you have a chance at knowing exactly what bugs are lurking there if any and what antibiotic is needed to clear it up. I have an elderly bunny with constant white discharge/sneezing and she is very near my trio of rabbits. Only 1 of them has picked it up and been treated for it in the past. I suppose it's like people getting colds...some will catch it and some will fight it off.

I was thinking exactly that. Might as well get a good swab while under for the spay. Then go from there.

Back