• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much food

Rita

Warren Scout
Friday i will be collecting my new bunnies. :love:

as they are still young 10 weeks and 8 weeks old, how much dry food should i give them.
i was going to leave dry food in their bowl so they can eat when they want, but someone said that mini lops should not be given free food for them to eat, only hay and small amount of dry food morning and evening. any advice from all you bunny people would be great.

Different people have different opinions but if you just give them small amounts of everything then they won't go far wrong. As they get older you can then make adjustments and get in a routine so hay plays an important part of their diet.

Hi, I have a 10 week old mini lop and have been wondering how much to feed her. I will be watching this!

She has fresh hay in a rack and a hay cookie on the go all the time. I also give her Burgess Excell Junior rabbit pellets. I have been giving her about 15ish pellets morning and night but wasnt sure if its enough. I weighed her and it says to give about 4 times the amount I give her in a day!! I gave her more yesterday, its so funny watching her when I put them in her bowl or ball. She goes mad trying to get them!!

Are your bunnies going to be indoors? The best thing I have bought for Blossom is a treat ball. She goes mad for it and it keeps her running for around for ages!!

oh bless. mine are going to be out side bunnies. they are in a hutch at the moment, but they will be moving into the cattery when they are bigger and the weather is warmer.
i bought some burgess but they won't eat it, they have been kept on Chudley Royale. the male is very interactive and playful the female is very timid. i am giving them food in the morning, afternoon and evening, i am worried the little girl is not eating enough as she is very thin, he is very solid. they have loads of hay to eat. this is there first day with us, so i am hoping she will be active tomorrow.
do you only have one, and is blossom inside.

Hi both,

I've got 2 little mini lops, between 8 - 12 weeks, I gave them about 60g of pellets each. I just used to split this amount and feed them 3 times a day.

When they reached 12 weeks, I then cut this down slightly to 50g pellets, they are still on this and are now 18 weeks old! :)

Of course they still require unlimited hay, and after 12 weeks, you can even start introducing them to very small amounts of veg!

Hope this helps :) and also with feeding, I used to have quite a gutsy male, so used to feed them both separately so I knew how much both we're eating.

Last edited:
thank you, i will use this as a guide line. they both are eating hay which i will keep topped up at all times.

thank you for your advice, i will keep a check on how much they are eating. maybe i will weigh them both tomorrow so i will know how much they have gained in a weeks time.

I have defo been under feeding Blossom then. She has eaten 3 times so far today. Twice from her treat ball and morning (and later) in her food bowl. She loves the hay cookies I get. They arent as messy as hay!!

Rita - I just have the one which is why she is inside. She is too cute to put outside on her own in the cold!! She eats really well! We have only had her 2 weeks today and it feels like she has been here forever!! The first day we had her she didnt eat much, it took a little while for her to settle in.

Could you feed your 2 separately? You would be able to keep an eye on what she is eating then.

Hi Rita,

No problem and of course if you have any other questions.. Please just ask! :)

The fact, their eating lots of hay is brilliant! If it helps at all, my little tinkers we're just under 1.2 when they we're 12 weeks old! :)

Back