• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gender when keeping pairs

Snizard93

New Kit
Hi everyone!

I have only ever kept rabbits alone but from now on I would like to keep a pair as I know they love company. A few weeks ago I lost my bun and I feel the time is right to get another.

Is it true that a pair of mixed gender (one buck and one doe) will get along better? I would get kits from the same litter and then of course neuter them. A pair of bucks are more likely to fight, is that correct?

Thanks for your answers :D

Hi :wave: a buck and a doe are more likely to get on, yes, but I have had a pair of girls before and currently have a pair of boys. I would recommend going to a rescue to adopt a bonded pair as:-
they will already be vaccinated and neutered/spayed which will save you a lot of money.
you know that they will get on together if they are already bonded, which is not always the case with bunnies, even siblings from the same litter might not get on.
You will have a much better idea of their temperament - if you buy from a breeder when they grow up their personalities can change.
You might find you fall in love with a rabbit based on their temperament, rather than looks.
They don't stay babies for long.
There is a website where you can find your local rescues here http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ :thumb:

A boy and a girl is usually reccomended, but I have two boys living together, two girls loving together and a mixed gender pair too. All six bunnies very happy and in love with their partners. I think it depends on the individual bunnies, what works for one may not work for another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree with the above. Mixed sex neutered pairs are most likely to get along, though I've also had 3 sisters who lived happily with their mum. Definitely have a look at the rescues, once you've seen them and heard their stories you'll be smitten anyway! And they'll be ready vaccinated and neutered for you too. Baby bunnies are lovely, but the rescue centres are full of bunnies who are only months old and taken on by people who didn't know what they were doing, as well as the older buns who just need a lovely home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
The gender of a pair of rabbits seems to make very little difference to how they get on. I would definitely recommend getting a pair from a rescue, they will already have a strong bond so you won't have any worries on that front. The trouble with getting babies is you have to separate them once they reach sexual maturity and keep them apart until they are fully recovered from their operations, this will take weeks and by this point when you reintroduce them it can take a while to rebond them (rabbit fights are nasty). You will obviously have the expense of the neuters and also need to get them vaccinated, if you go to a rescue you only have to pay the adoption fee, plus your money goes on to help more rabbits, I recommend having a quick browse of the rabbit rehome section on here. Good luck with whatever you decide to do xx

Back