• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would like advice on adopting another bun..

alsh

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I work on a farm which is involved in caring for animals from the RSPCA. On occasion we receive rabbits. I am tempted to add to my family by adopting one that we have in our care at the moment, however I am unsure as to what sex of rabbit would fit in best with my current pets:

- I have one rescued female mini Rex, aged approx. 1. Unneutered.
And
- one rescued male New Zealand white, aged approx. 1 1/2. Neutered.

They are a bonded pair and share everything brilliantly.

I would prefer if they would all bond nicely eventually, so I wondered if you guys could offer any advice/experiences so that I can choose an appropriate sex. Obviously the new addition would be neutered prior to adoption as per the RSPCAs policy.

Please note that I am planning on getting my female rabbit neutered sometime this year.

Thanks for reading

I know it isn't quite the advice you were looking for, but if it were me I would prioritise having your existing doe spayed because, as you know, the risk of uterine cancer is extremely high in unspayed does. Only then would I think about the possibility of adding more rabbits (but from my experience I wouldn't attempt to add another rabbit to an already bonded pair as you risk breaking the original bond and ending up with 3 separate rabbits).

I know it isn't quite the advice you were looking for, but if it were me I would prioritise having your existing doe spayed because, as you know, the risk of uterine cancer is extremely high in unspayed does. Only then would I think about the possibility of adding more rabbits (but from my experience I wouldn't attempt to add another rabbit to an already bonded pair as you risk breaking the original bond and ending up with 3 separate rabbits).

I agree with Babsie :thumb: if you want more, why not adopt another pair ;) :thumb:

I've heard it suggested that bonding two pairs can be easier than adding in an extra to make a trio.

Neutering your girl first is likely to help with the bonding as unneutered rabbits on the same sex tend to compete, so I'd wait until after.

It sounds like you've got a good opportunity with having bunnies close to pick from. It can be tough to say for certain which, a lot depends on personality. I'd probably try a girl, but if your boy is quite laid back another male may work.

Back