• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WW: Have you adopted from rescue?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would be good to share some experiences of adopting from rescue centres for those that are a bit unsure if it's right for them.

If you've adopted, what was it like? Was the home check scary? Did you have to change things? How did you choose your bunny? Would you do it again?

Thanks for sharing :D

Yes, I've adopted many times. Every rescue had different requirements and I've only had a couple of home visits. Others rehomed to photographs and the fact that other rescues with very stringent requirements had already rehomed to me.

I like to choose elderly or 'boring' agouti/black/white bunnies or piggies if possible. But character and looks does come into it - I do have a preference for uppy-ear buns, but it wouldn't stop me taking on a lop if it felt right.

Am definitely looking to rescue again.

Yes I've adopted :D - 3 rabbits and 2 Guinea pigs.

It's only through RU and rabbit rehome that I got to find out about Cottontails Rescue. I was looking for a friend for my Bella who had been alone for four years. I adopted Pickle on the 6th June 2012 and he was my first rescue rabbit. I had a choice of 3 rabbits, Pickle being a harlequin dwarf lop, a Belgian hare and a 1/2 wild rabbit. All were lovely and I would of had either. However as I had never had a lop before, I really fell for Pickle! I mean who couldn't? He's so lovely :love:

Bella and Pickle spent 9 months together when Bella passed away in March 2013 from heart disease. I'm so glad that she got to know bunny companionship and love before she passed away. We then adopted Pixie from Cottontails Rescue.

In January 2014 I adopted a friend for my Gino piggy from a rescue in the London borders. We specifically needed a youngish boar and the benefit of adopting from this rescue was that they neuter at a young age. As Gino and Little pig have a 6/7 year age gap we had to be prepared for the future. The fact that he's neutered makes it easier as he can join the girls. This rescue wasn't close, approx was 1 hour and 45 minutes journey and that was only one way. However for the right rabbit/guinea pig it's very worthwhile travelling.

Unfortunately in October 2014 we lost Flopsy after a long battle of ill health. Originally the plan was to try and bond Lily in with Pickle and Pixie. We took them along to the rescue to attempt it but it just wasn't meant to be. They had only one neutered male in and available at the time. That rabbit being Livio who was called Nibbles at the time. He had been in rescue for 2, nearly 3 weeks. I fell in love straight away, he came over to greet me and took a nose rub. I've always adored black bunnies, and that's because of pictures I've seen of them on RU.

It worked out really well adopting him, Lily loves him and is very happy again. I just had to adopt him as I was worried he would be overlooked because of his colour and potentially his name. He does not nibble at all.

My latest adoption was a new piggy friend for Daisy after we lost Ruby. We adopted again from Cottontails Rescue and got her a new friend. What I really love about Cottontails is the speed dating service - it works really well and means that the success of a bond is quite high! On all 3 rabbit dates we've had there, all have worked out first time.

So I've adopted 3 rabbits from Cottontails and 1 Guinea pig. I also adopted a Guinea pig from Animal Lifeline.

Oh yes - I'd definitely adopt again. Adoption is the only way from now on for me!

Last edited:
Yep, several times :p

Only actually had a home checker actually at my house twice though. First time I wasn't worried (I worked for the rescue, was good friends with my colleague who was doing the home check and was actually already fostering the bun I wanted to adopt :lol: there was no doubt I'd pass but that rescue was a stickler for the rules) the second time was for my dog so I didn't know what to expect and was terrified, the whole house was kept in a state of unnatural cleanliness for a whole week as I waited for them to make an appointment :lol: in the end she was lovely, and was barely here 5 mins, she just wanted to make sure what we had said was true (actually our address, secure garden) and didn't want to see any of our doggy preparations... We collected the dog the next day :lol:

All others have been adopted with photos and frank discussions. I have always said right off the bat that I was happy to be home checked, and have always been completely open. Rescues are normally very helpful and receptive when they know they are talking to a genuine person. :thumb:

Pros
- back up if anything goes wrong, I sadly had a failed adoption from barc when the bun I tried to adopt and my bun hated each other. It was horrible to 'take him back' but Angie was awesome, and I know he is living with another RU-er and has a wonderful life.
- you know the temperament of the animals and the rescue will tell you if you are a good match.
- cheaper! Most buns have a recommended minimum donation barely above vaccination costs and they are vaccinated, neutered and health checked!
- it is harder to impulse buy as the process takes longer and rescues tend to weed out unsuitable homes
- free source of help and advice if you have any issues with your new pet, petshops and byb don't care once they have their money!

Cons
- it does take longer than going into a shop and saying 'that one please' having said that from meeting my dog to bringing her home was exactly one week... Not exactly an age!
-it can be hard if one you find and fall in love with online is unsuitable/already reserved when you enquire. Which is the same at a breeders, some animals will already be reserved!
- whilst there are babies in rescue you tend to get them when they are slightly older as the rehoming process is a bit longer and some rescues will not rehome an unspayed animal. But I have adopted a 12week old bun and there are almost always puppies and kittens in rescue too so it is possible!

Yes, all my current bunnies are rescues :thumb: Dandy and Beano had been in rescue for almost a year I think, having been dumped as babies at a motorway services :cry: I love agouti bunnies and fell in love with them when I saw them on rabbits in need :love: they were very wild, scaredy bunnies but have calmed down a lot, they are still very cheeky though :lol: they were from Macclesfield RSPCA, I had a telephone interview, had to send photos of my set up, go and visit them and reserve them, then had my home check. The home check was done by a local rspca volunteer. I was nervous about the home check but I didn't need to be, she was more interested in looking at my menagerie :lol: then I got the all clear to go and collect them.

Boots was from BARC, we fell in love with him whilst volunteering at the open day. He is such a cuddly bunny, and had been in rescue for several months. He was dumped in the car park at Meadowhall :cry: I sent photos of my set up, which he spent a couple of weeks in before becoming a permanent house bunny :love:

I agree with Hele about the pros and cons of rescuing. It has given me infinitely more pleasure getting my rescue rabbits, knowing that I have helped them, the rescue, and the next bunnies waiting for a rescue space :thumb:

I've had a lot of failed fosters. Plus I've gone out & adopted a fair few. Rescuing is definitely the way forward cos buns come ready for regular life. I've taken buns on from the free ads before, then you've neutering/vaccinating plus bonding. I'm a busy person & things are just easier if you can add bun to new living space & are done:lol:

I have rescued 3 buns. Leo and Lila came from ARC, they had been born in rescue and came to me aged 2.5 years. I visited them in their foster home and then had a home check. I was really nervous before the check but I had done my homework and everything was in order. They moved in a few days later. The whole process took about 2 weeks, not as quick as just popping to pets at home but not a long time either, and then I had 2 happily bonded, neutered and vaccinated buns. As it turned out I then became very ill and was unable to care for them anymore. Then I was lucky to have ARCs backup and support and I was able without a fuss to return Leo and Lila to them knowing that they would be found another good home.

I also rescued Molly from TRC. Helen had done my home check for ARC and was happy to adopt to me again. This time I needed help with bonding Molly with my bridge bun Marble and Helen was only too happy to do this for me. Then in May last year I attempted to adopt a new friend for Molly and we set about adopting a Basil, again from TRC. Despite several attempts the bond just wasn't to be and Basil had to go back. If I had gone out and just bought a bunny friend for Molly and this had happened we would have been left with 2 single buns each having to have less space than we would like, Molly is currently cage free in a 10ft by 12 ft room.

When the unthinkable happens and Molly goes to the bridge I will adopt again, hopefully a pair who have been in rescue for a while. I will never buy again.

I adopted my beautiful Cherry princess from barc last September. I was looking for a suitable girly bun for Blackavar who was lonely and depressed after Badger died and the remaining three fell out. Cherry was on a shortlist of possible friends and I selected her first as she was quieter than the others and I didn't think a dominant personality would go too well with Blackavar in his current state. It was bunny love at first sight :love:

I wasn't home checked as such as I'm on here as is Angie, so she was able to see what kind of person I'm like and the life my bunnies live from my photos on here. So it was all very painless and Cherry came home and just slotted into our lives as though she'd always been here which is brilliant. I'd always had pet shop or breeder bunnies before and bringing them home and arranging vaccination and neutering/spaying etc is always a task, but she came "ready made". In future I'll always be adopting rescue bunnies and barc will be my first port of call :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have adopted several animals from rescue:
- all 5 of our current cats from a local rescue, and most of our previous ones.
- 3 rabbits from 2 rescues
- 1 hamster from Pets at Home 'rescue' section last week.

I think the adoptions for all of them are relevant to the thread, whatever the species - so bear with me....

The hamster had been returned to store with an 'eyesight problem' - he has pink eyes and is still a baby. Perfectly healthy. We were looking for another as ours recently died. I thought they could have asked more questions about exactly what he was going to be living in. We were given advice on food and health problems to go to a vet with, which was good advice. The process was very easy and just a form to sign. You could walk in and do everything in 10 mins, so impulse buying is possible.

The adoption form was more specific for rabbits, with neutering and vaccination tick boxes. I have been turned down by P@H for a rabbit in the past as they just didn't believe that I had appropriate accommodation - they wanted me to buy a hutch and I had a spare / new wendy house. They also said that I was going to breed from it as I had just been to the vet with my other (neutered) rabbits for their vaccinations. So it can be a bit hit and miss, depending on the branch / staff / manager, in my experience. From their point of view, they were doing the best for the rabbit, I suppose - although it wasn't a rigorous process at all.

The cats were nearly all young adults - generally just old enough to be neutered. A couple have been adults of unknown age. I only have long haired cats and have taken some on that were in a bad state but have been lovely cats (after a bath and good groom). I don't really like having kittens - they are too much hard work - very lively and all teeth and claws. I much prefer 6 months - 2 years old as you know the temperament of the animal and any health issues are known. There is never a shortage of any type/ age of cat in rescue. I've never had a homecheck - but know that some (eg RSPCA) would not rehome to my address due to the main roads, but others will - so it is a matter of common sense. My cats were always inside before dusk to minimise the risks, and I have a large fenced garden with lots of things to keep them interested. They are all now house cats by their choice in their old age.

Kittens are ALWAYS available but many people think you can only get adults from rescue.

We also looked at adopting our dogs but we were looking for a specific breed / type but it absolutely had to be OK with small furries - which sadly is quite hard to find the specific match we wanted from rescue, even after looking for 2 years. We vetted the places we got them from and checked the parents, etc. before we went to see them. Couldn't afford to get it wrong for the sake of our other animals. I have always been prepared to walk away if it didn't feel right.

Rabbits - we have had 3 rabbits from true rescues, and one that was handed in to a pet shop when it was found on the street and was given to us. I have long haired rabbits (usually) as I like the fluffiness and the grooming isn't an issue as I've had lots of practice. The 3 rescues were initially via RU, and rabbit runs from a member who comes up from Wales. As these were long distance adoptions, all 'homechecks' were via email or phone. I have always been honest about what the rabbits are coming to (even if it hasn't quite been to the approved standard) and ask questions about the specific rabbit. I would be happy for my vet to give a reference but have never been asked.

I've had standard pet shop rabbits before. You really don't know what you are getting. They have ended up being the most expensive rabbits I have owned due to complicated dental issues, or have died heart-breakingly too young from unknown causes.

The advantage of adopting a rescue is that you have a vaccinated, neutered (if old enough), health-checked and known temperament rabbit. Baby rabbits are available if that's what you want. I find them too unpredictable. Getting a 6 month or older means that you know if it can be handled, will be much less skittish, you know if there are any health issues, and they are probably good hay eaters. Neutered rabbits can have friends - so you get happier rabbits and more fun for you. You also don't have to go through the trauma of taking a beloved baby for an operation and dealing with the aftercare. It's already sorted. It's also massively cheaper to have all the vet stuff already done, and I have always known far more about the background of my adopted animals than any that came from a pet shop or BYB.

Cerys was adopted from Windwhistle last week, having previously adopted Angel from there. She had been in rescue for about 18 months. She is extremely furry, a brilliant hay eater, totally unfazed by any of the other animals and will sit quite happily for a cuddle. I just asked Alice if she has any longhaired rabbits that would be OK with a newly widowed boy. She sent details of a couple of candidates. We chose Cerys by temperament, furry-ness, a similar age and she had been in rescue far too long. We arranged transport, waited a month for everything to slot into place, and she is currently bouncing around the garden between the runs with her potential husbuns in. She is doing so well that I am debating a 5 way bond...

Holly was a rescue from P@H adoption centre - she was a true rescue in that she had been dumped there in a cardboard box overnight. She was adorable - stretching up and pawing at the glass as we walked past - so we about turned and it was an immediate decision. I tend to think that she had been a well loved pet - she was in good health, confident and had no issues with being picked up and very obviously liked people. Once we'd explained to P@H that we already had neutered/spayed 2 buns - they didn't really ask too much about us and Holly's new home - we just signed a paper and off we went with her.

Prudhoe was from Foal Farm - we have a good friend who works there and Prudhoe came in- apparently he was getting stressed by the old owners dogs but our friend though differently and thought that Prudhoe would be much better off in a new home straight away. So no home check - just spoke briefly to the lady who looks after the rabbits at Foal Farm and we were on our way. The only problem Prudhoe had was that he wasn't neutered and was exceptionally hormonal - honking, spraying, nipping, humping - and SO much energy. He WAS difficult - but not impossible - and neutering very quickly calmed him down.

Apart from Bobo and Harley (shop and breeder buns) the rest are private rescues - buns we had stumbled across or were told about.

I have had 6 bunnies and a hamster and mouse from 2 different local rescues.

My first bun came from a family who weren't looking after him properly and I found out and offered to home him-luckily they agreed as they weren't bothered about him anyway:(so he was a sort of rescue.My beautiful Harry got better and stronger and I got him a wifeybun who I was going to bond with him myself.Harriet came from a rescue local to me.Unfortunately the bond didn't work out so Harry and Harriet both had new partners from the same rescue.
I had got to know the rescue lady well as Harry stayed with her if I went away.She knew the lengths I had gone to to get Harry well and knew I could be trusted.I showed pictures of my set ups as well.

Sam and Star came from another rescue even nearer to me which I hadn't known about previously.Again I got to know the lady running the rescue and helped her out for awhile when she got extra busy.I adopted a hamster and mouse from her last summer too.Again there was no home visit but she knows a lady who looks after my animals if I go away for a night or two who could vouch for me.One of the bunnies has potential health issues which the rescue would cover the vet fees for but I couldn't take her up on that as like most rescues money is tight and id rather it went on another of her poorly buns.

I would only rescue now having learnt more and more about the plight of many bunnies.

Kerbie is from FatFluffs :)

Homecheck was great and not scary at all, it was nice to talk to someone who loved bunnies as much as me! She was really nice too :)

We didn't choose Kerbie, we only knew his name! It was if Leo was happy with him or not, that was the most important thing. So when my boyfriend looked in the carrier and saw a little nethie he was so excited as it is a breed he loves :lol:
Kerb is 9 now :D

Yeah the process was longer than walking into a shop or something, but so worth it :love:

All mine bar Sweep are rescues in some way, whether from actual rescues or free to good home type ads.

When Sweep's old bonded partner Misty died, we applied to adopt a lovely bunny called Jenna from TRC, we went and reserved her and then Helen came to homecheck me. She checked the acommodation, questions about diet/vets etc and ended up nattering for ages :thumb: Sadly the bond didn't work out between Sweep and Jenna so we didn't end up adopting from TRC.

Hettie is from Reading Rabbit Rescue. We didn't have homecheck for there as we had already been homechecked by Helen (from TRC) and RRR discussed it on the phone with Helen. We went up there, saw all the buns and picked a favourite and a reserve. Sweep then went up and stayed there for a week and was bonded to Hettie (our first choice :love:).

Woody and Jessie were sort of free to a good home, in that a family member had them and wasn't look after them properly, so after ages of trying to persuade said family member to hand them to me, they asked me to look after them when they went on holiday. They never went home :thumb:

Then came the piggies. I originally adopted Marley and Dylan from Furry Friends, however it didn't really go to plan (and I'm annoyed that I didn't know what I do now about guinea pigs as they clearly had issues with each other when I picked them up). They didn't homecheck, just a photo and description of the cage. We picked them up and they were grumbling and chasing each other, sadly this got worse and worse until I had to make the hard decision to split them, and Dylan went back to the rescue to find another home. Marley was quite depressed after that and I found it hard to locate suitable piggies in rescue where I was at the time, so Molly came from P@H adoption centre. She had been there 6 months as had a ringworm infection. Mabel then came from a rescue (which has subsequently been closed down), which wasn't great IMO, but it was the closest piggy rescue to me at the time. She had a fungal infection when she came home which took months of treatment to clear. Maisie was another free to a good home, ex breeding sow, conditions were awful. Finally Peaches came from a free to a good home ad, alerted to me from Jackaroonie on here.

Finally, Noah and Skye came from RSPCA Macclesfield. For the homecheck they spoke to me on the phone, wanted pictures and also sent around someone from my local RSPCA (who was useless I might add!).

I'm trying to rescue a girl for Noah now, since Skye passed, so might update this soon with that :D

First two rabbits were impulse pet shop bought. I researched rabbits found RU and then the rescues began!

Tessie and Daisy from BARC. A local rodent rescuer (clare from Rhydowen rodent refuge) home checked me on behalf of Barc (who are based in yorkshire). She came and looked at where they would be living and we discussed rabbits diets and general care. It was lovely to talk to someone with knowledge and enthusiasm.

I had seen pictures of Tessie and Daisy on here in the rabbits in need section. They were less than a year old and had been in rescue all their lives. I was very taken with their beauty. They are now bonded to my pet shop boys, Frosty and Snowflake.

More recently I adopted two belgian hares from Cottontails in Wiltshire. I was in touch via email and answered a few questions. All very thorough and friendly.

Harvest hamster came from Furry Animal Friends in Surrey and again it was questions via email.

I have found rescues to be helpful and friendly and it has been nice to know that I have back up for my beloved pets.

I adopted twice in quick succession last year

Logan - I adopted him asap after Harvey's death because Lilly was miserable, had home check by the rspca and I was so nervous, but the guy came in took a quick look in the room, asked a couple of questions and said it was all fine, think he was here for less than 2 mins! Then Lilly went to be bonded with Logan and they came home after a week, unfortunately all the excitement and stress of bonding and moving allowed a latent infection to resurface in Logan and he passed away suddenly :( all rabbits from rescues are health checked so this is highly unlikely to actually happen compared to the unchecked rabbits in pet shops who are often sold ill so I'd still always go for a rescue rabbit, poor Logan just had a mild infection that wasn't giving him any clinical signs when examined with the RSPCA and it suddenly came out with stress :(

Arthur - I was rather traumatised after losing two bunnies both suddenly and in quick succession, so I left it a little longer before getting another mate for Lilly, I registered my interest in adopting from BARC relatively early on though. Home check wise I had to show photos of my set up and gave my vet's details so BARC could give them a call, everything was fine :) then one day Arthur's little face popped up on BARC's newsfeed and I thought he was adorable, Angie said he was a youngster and would likely bond well with Lilly so I felt confident enough that I'd be able to bond myself and then he was reserved :D I wasn't intending to get such a young rabbit but he just had such a sweet face and I completely fell for him!

I will always adopt in the future, I like that I'm helping make room for another needy bunny to come in and the money I pay is going towards a charity. It's also a lot easier to have a rabbit who is already spayed/neutered and vaccinated so I can get on with bonding without the need to keep them separate for too long before hand! I don't regret buying Harvey from a shop, I regret that I didn't know about rabbit rescues, I don't regret getting Lilly from gumtree because she was being given away for free and a breeder wanted her if I didn't take her. But from now on I will always rescue.

Oh I also adopted Sid my hamster from the RSPCA, I went in to the branch to see the hamsters and chat with them, I told them all I knew about hamsters and shared rabbit photos with them :lol: I decided Sid was the perfect hamster and they said all they needed were photos of his cage set-up so I went home, took photos, came back to show them and picked Sid up :D

Last edited:
All my rabbits (7 so far) have been from a rescue. I would never buy a rabbit as there are so many in rescue needing homes that I just don't want to support pet shops (I don't even buy supplies from pet shops selling animals) or breeders. I had considered rescuing privately but part of me is scared about what to do if the rabbit didn't get on with mine. I think rescue is the safest option plus they will do the bonding for you not to mention is good to support rescues. I've never found the process particularly arduous. We turned up, reserved the only pair of rabbits that were available, built the accommodation we were told to and passed the homecheck first time and shortly after found ourselves to be proud owners of our first bunnies.

Rats on the other hand I find to be different. Most of the time it's a question of when they will slot nicely into the group as opposed to if so I'm not quite as fussy about where they come from. I have adopted rats from a few rescues and didn't find the process difficult at all. Most wanted a pic of my cage and sometimes a reference but to be honest most rat rescues know me now so don't bother. I have taken in quite a few private rehomes or rats from friends if they were giving up rat keeping and have bought a few from a breeder who I approve of. There isn't the issue of thousands of rats in rescue so I don't feel guilty buying the odd pair of rats from someone I consider ethical. That said I would never buy from a pet shop, BYB or breeder I didn't approve of ethically.

I've always had rescue animals for as long as I can remember.

The dog & my first rabbit were both from the rspca & we were home checked for both and you had to go and meet them at least twice before they could go home with you.

Lady (my pony) was from ARC, I had her on loan from them at the centre for three months before she came home as she had previous failed adoptions and they wanted to be sure we were a good match. They also did a home check and six monthly checks for the first two years. She was brought unbroken for a child to do mounted games with and hit and starved then sold with a massive head injury at the local horse fair.

Merlin my horse who was sadly pts two years ago was on his way to the meatman after having gone through 7 homes in as many weeks due to his aggressive behaviour. He was originally part of an rspca welfare case and was kept in a shed without food and water as a yearling.

Tish, my cat was from Scratching Post she was unwanted due to her hunting and she had been hit for bringing in dead birds. I had the home check prior to visiting them to adopt as that meant I could pick a cat and take him/her home then and there.

All four bunnies are from Emmas rabbit rescue, I've had the girls for a year now and adopted them at 12 and 16 weeks old, they are full sisters from two different litters and were handed in as the breeder couldn't sell them. Haymitch was brought for a three year old as a pet and was handed around to several family members as he can lunge and grunt due to poor eyesight. Emma home checked us for the first three but not for Haymitch.

Salene & Fang our guineapigs were from Wood Green animal shelter they were part of a hoarding case, we went and picked them out then sent pictures of our set up to the rescue, then we went to pick them up the following weekend.

I would always recommend that others adopt and don't shop as you know that any animal will have its behaviour assessed and will be a well matched pet for you and also have been vet checked and neutered and vaccinated in most cases too, which means you will be well aware of any health issues prior to adoption. Also most rescues will help you with bonding too like Emma did with Haymitch and the girls.

Last edited:
It will be five years in December since I adopted Gordon :love: I found it quite an easy process with lots of help and guidance available, he was the first pet I'd adopted and I was still relatively new to rabbits so got lots of good advice of here first and from the rescue. I didn't have a home check, the rescue is a long way away from me but they rehome nationally which was great since I used to live in a relatively remote area. Instead I had to provide photographs of my accommodation with measurements and a description of how I would care for the bunnies such as what I feed them etc. I didn't have to change things but got some better advice on diet, such as what veg is good and what is not so good. I don't really remember choosing Gordon as such, I posted on here about wishing to adopt a male for Beano and the first reply was about the rescue I got him from and there was links to a couple of rabbits and Gordon was the first one, he is the same age as Beano and his character appealed to us so we inquired about him.

I would definitely look into rescuing again, although next time I would try to chose more long term bunnies who may have been in rescue a while, such as older buns, less popular colours.

I volunteer at a rescue and most of mine are from there.

My three (now two) Flower Girls were long term residents at the rescue. They spent the first two years of their lives in rescue, despite being absolutely beautiful they were overlooked probably because they were a trio. They were VERY destructive, but it was just boredom, all they needed was a proper home with space and stimulation. They left their destructive behaviour behind and became very well mannered girls. :love:

Nutmeg, Saffron & Pepper were orphaned at 4 weeks old. I took them home as they needed a bit of extra care. They were supposed to be short term foster bunnies, we were just keeping them until they were bigger and stronger. They stayed.

I took Bentley home as a very poorly 9 week old baby. He had to have his eye removed, which went well, but a few days later he became seriously ill with stasis/bloat. I took him home as a short term foster just until he was better, but he became so seriously poorly that he ended up at my vets in intensive care. We went through so much with Bentley that we just couldn't part with him, so he stayed.

Minnie is a Windwhistle Warren bunny. She came from a large scale rescue of rabbits, another of those out of control situations. She had been at Windwhistle for about a year, overlooked probably because she was agouti. I was looking for a girl for Bentley, I didn't care what colour etc, so I contacted Alice and we arranged to take Bentley down to meet Minnie (known as Princess Sparkles at the time). It really was love at first sight so Minnie came home with us.

Sugar is a Fatfluff, another bunny from a large scale rescue where rabbits had to be distributed to other rescues around the country. Fatfluffs took Sugar and her 7 babies and I adopted Sugar from them once she had been spayed.

Roo is another bunny from the rescue where I volunteer. I chose him because he is a rew, so an unpopular choice for many people and I knew he would be destined for a long stint in the rescue. His eyesight is poor and he has a tendancy to bite when he's unsure what is in front of him, he bites first and asks questions after, another reason why he needed an understanding home.

My 6 chinchillas are all rescues.

2 of our cats came from Cats Protection. Our kitten Rascal, turned up on our doorstep on a freezing cold night just before Christmas. If we hadn't have kept him, then he would have gone to a local rescue, so I count him as a rescue too...he decided to adopt us.

I would always rescue. :thumb:

Back