• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do they ever Just Not Fancy Breakfast

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
Occasionally Ozzie just doesn't want breakfast of any sort. He did it today, I go into panic mode, out with infacol and pain relief.

Today he was fine in himself hopping about, in and out of the cage he just didn't want to eat pellets, hay or veg. I did infacol but we have no pain relief left. An hour later he just picked up a big pile of hay and proceeded to munch his way through loads followed by the veg I had left then a drink.

He did it about 5 weeks ago, when I put it down to being out in the cold so they are now house rabbits.

He has had his teeth checked recently, he normally eats well, drinks well, his poo is just as it should be.

I wonder if he had had a load of hay before I got up and did pellets for breakfast??

What are his poos like ? What comes out is just as relevant as what is going in. A Rabbit with reduced gut motility for whatever reason will eat less, this will further reduce gut motility and so the downward spiral into gut stasis can begin.

Unless you know what the primary issue is just giving pain relief is simply fire fighting and not dealing with the actual cause of the lack of eating. Personally I'd want him checked over by a Vet again.

Occasionally Ozzie just doesn't want breakfast of any sort. He did it today, I go into panic mode, out with infacol and pain relief.

Today he was fine in himself hopping about, in and out of the cage he just didn't want to eat pellets, hay or veg. I did infacol but we have no pain relief left. An hour later he just picked up a big pile of hay and proceeded to munch his way through loads followed by the veg I had left then a drink.

He did it about 5 weeks ago, when I put it down to being out in the cold so they are now house rabbits.

He has had his teeth checked recently, he normally eats well, drinks well, his poo is just as it should be.

I wonder if he had had a load of hay before I got up and did pellets for breakfast??

I know that even if mine had eaten hay, they would still go mad for their pellets. It sounds like you did absolutely the right thing with the Infacol.

His poo's are good, plentiful and not small. Tonight he has eaten his tea as normal, had a hop around the lounge and has been eating hay with gusto??

He is currently stretched out full stretch on his side enjoying the view:lol:

I had a bun who did this and it was her teeth. They weren't really bad but they were still bothering her. She'd go off her pellets and I used to chase her around the garden and shove food in her face until she ate it...which she always did within an hour. Since having a dental she has never gone off her pellets. x

I had a bun who did this and it was her teeth. They weren't really bad but they were still bothering her. She'd go off her pellets and I used to chase her around the garden and shove food in her face until she ate it...which she always did within an hour. Since having a dental she has never gone off her pellets. x

Well they are both due their boosters in March so I think I will ask them to do a really good teeth check.

Thanks to everyone for the replies

Sometimes yes, they just don't want to eat anything for a few minutes. Can be due to the weather or some odd sound has put them in a funny mood. But if it hasn't passed in a bout 30 minutes I would think upset stomach or belly ache etc

Sometimes yes, they just don't want to eat anything for a few minutes. Can be due to the weather or some odd sound has put them in a funny mood. But if it hasn't passed in a bout 30 minutes I would think upset stomach or belly ache etc

Arthur occasionally doesnt eat straight away and I think something may have upset him. He has always eaten within half an hour. Elsie is always right there getting stuck in (shes a girl after my own heart)

If he didnt eat within the half hour or showed any other symptoms I would get him to the vet asap.

My OH feels sorry for my bunnies because if they refuse food I immediately drop everything and rush to the vets straight away :oops: he often says "what if the poor bunny isn't hungry or trying to have a slim day?" Maybe I should wait a few minutes before pannicking in future :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His poo's are good, plentiful and not small. Tonight he has eaten his tea as normal, had a hop around the lounge and has been eating hay with gusto??

He is currently stretched out full stretch on his side enjoying the view:lol:

Sounds like a good update :thumb:

Eating hay with gusto .. that's brilliant! Poor teeth would make that difficult. Good to get them checked, but bunnies with poor dentition usually eat their pellets without problem as it's an 'up and down' movement rather than a grinding action, which is difficult if your teeth are not aligned.

Fiver sometimes goes off pellets when he's moulting. I'm not sure if it's the first stage of stasis but I usually find he'll only eat herbs or forage for a few hours, then he's happy to have pellets later in the day.

Back