• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Testing the rabbits' litter training skills...

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
I've rearranged Arthur and Lilly's area (to their excitement not their disgust luckily) to try and take account of OH's feelings and suggestions that one thing he really dislikes about the rabbits is the massive litter tray and huge expense of hay that inevitably goes with it that's on show. He wanted to have a hidden away litter tray but I wasn't sure our two would want to sit hidden in the dark for long so wouldn't spend as much time munching on hay, so I've gone for a compromise, a smaller, slightly more hidden litter tray :D I think it does look better! I have more options of where to put the litter tray if they decide they don't want to do their business there... Also this will be much easier to clean out than before! One downside is it holds less hay, but that just means I refill it more often which I am very capable of doing!

What do people think? Better after?

Before:

Now:

I think a lot of bunnies like fresh hay regularly rather than a big portion... I don't know why but it the get more excited when it's just out the bag :lol:

You could always split it, some in the tray and some in the den.

Might be worth poping a kiddie proof cover on the socket just to make sure they can't poke hay in it too :)

I think a lot of bunnies like fresh hay regularly rather than a big portion... I don't know why but it the get more excited when it's just out the bag :lol:

You could always split it, some in the tray and some in the den.

Might be worth poping a kiddie proof cover on the socket just to make sure they can't poke hay in it too :)

Ooo good idea, thank you! I'd not thought of the plug as dangerous because it's off, but you're right it'd be much safer with a cover over!

If I put hay in their den they'd wee there :lol: they are very much rabbits who wherever you put hay they will wee and poo there! I can get another small litter tray and put it elsewhere though so they could have two which would be good :D

More recently I've been giving them hay more frequently but less at a time and you're right, they get so over excited each time I bring new stuff in :lol:

Ooo good idea, thank you! I'd not thought of the plug as dangerous because it's off, but you're right it'd be much safer with a cover over!

If I put hay in their den they'd wee there :lol: they are very much rabbits who wherever you put hay they will wee and poo there! I can get another small litter tray and put it elsewhere though so they could have two which would be good :D

More recently I've been giving them hay more frequently but less at a time and you're right, they get so over excited each time I bring new stuff in :lol:

Yes I agree :thumb:

For some reason, even though the hay is no 'fresher' in real terms, it's more appetising straight out of the bag. Your second litter tray looks nice, but so much hay! Doesn't it get everywhere?!

Yes I agree :thumb:

For some reason, even though the hay is no 'fresher' in real terms, it's more appetising straight out of the bag. Your second litter tray looks nice, but so much hay! Doesn't it get everywhere?!

It didn't too much with the bigger one because it was a big space and was quite deep, this one isn't quite as deep and smaller so I'll have to wait and see :lol: so far there's been a lot of hay eating which has flattened it all down and reduced it making it seem significantly more empty!

No wees or poops in the tray yet, but I've not found any elsewhere either, so fingers crossed when they next need the loo they use the new tray! They've mainly been sleeping since I've changed it, they're just beginning to wake up now though

Also, OH got home and before he came into the lounge I told him I'd changed something around that I think he'd like.... he walked in and stood and stared... for ages... looking around.... and finally said "you've moved the cat climbing thing from that side of the room to the other side...?" !!! He didn't even notice the tray, it took ages of me saying "yes and.... something else.... you're looking in the right direction....." for him to get it! :roll:

My two also prefer smaller but more regular 'fresh out of the bag' hay portions. Your rabbits' set up is great.

It didn't too much with the bigger one because it was a big space and was quite deep, this one isn't quite as deep and smaller so I'll have to wait and see :lol: so far there's been a lot of hay eating which has flattened it all down and reduced it making it seem significantly more empty!

No wees or poops in the tray yet, but I've not found any elsewhere either, so fingers crossed when they next need the loo they use the new tray! They've mainly been sleeping since I've changed it, they're just beginning to wake up now though

Also, OH got home and before he came into the lounge I told him I'd changed something around that I think he'd like.... he walked in and stood and stared... for ages... looking around.... and finally said "you've moved the cat climbing thing from that side of the room to the other side...?" !!! He didn't even notice the tray, it took ages of me saying "yes and.... something else.... you're looking in the right direction....." for him to get it! :roll:

Geez! You went to all that trouble :lol:

My two also prefer smaller but more regular 'fresh out of the bag' hay portions. Your rabbits' set up is great.

They get hay from a bale I keep in an outhouse too and as that lasts for weeks it's not even "fresh" in technical terms (although it keeps very well so it good quality still when they get it), but to them it is so much better and different from the stuff I gave them this morning :roll:

They must think I'm so weird, every time they go to eat hay, as soon as they hop away I run over to check if they've done any business :lol:

They're both sat there now, whilst one of them is shredding the paper at the bottom of the tray :roll:

Geez! You went to all that trouble :lol:

Men eh?! :lol:

We have some poops in the tray! :D Just one pile though, not sure which one it was either :lol: no wees yet! But then they've not drunk much today, they save most of their drinking for the evening when they are sprinting around going bonkers!

I'm pretty confident they're going to get the hang of it and not continue weeing where the old tray was but I'd like to see some proof :lol:

Lilly was really frantic before I went up for a shower, I knew she needed a wee and I knew she was confused as to whether to go where her hay is or where she normally does, so I wasn't that surprised when I got down to find this little accident!

She only ever weed at one specific end of the tray so she just had to go there again.. but I'd put the ramp there... so what did she do... she must have perched herself at the top and lifted her tail up there :lol: of course it had to be on the fabric ramp, not on the wipe clean surfaces! I did laugh though :lol:

There's wees in the litter tray now and lots more poops :D she'll get the hang of it :D

Haha, buns eh :lol:

I'm sure she'll get used to it soon :thumb:

They are definitely using the litter tray mainly so that's good :D

Lilly would like me to clear up a little misunderstanding from earlier... it was not only her that had an accident... there were two accidents next to each other which mummy didn't notice earlier but as mummy was sorting through her phone photos she noticed the puddle photo had two different colours... so it's not just her that piddled in the wrong place, Arthur did too :roll:

Success! Not a single stray poops let alone any wees! Plus a very full litter tray!

I'm so proud of the little fluff balls :lol:

Cleaning out is SO much easier! No sitting down on my hands and knees and fending off bunnies who need to see what I'm doing and then inevitable getting in my way and emptying the dustbin bag causing poops to fly everywhere, just pick the tray up, tip it all into the outside bin, then wipe it down with animal safe disinfectant, fresh newspaper, fresh hay and done!

I just had to referee a match of tug-of-war over a particularly stalky bit of hay :roll: Lilly won, and I found another, probably more stalky, bit of hay for Arthur :lol:

Setup looks great ! Who else but bunny lovers could get so excited over poops and wees :lol: wouldn't it be great if we could get buns to wear little nappy pants :D perhaps I'll have a go at designing some, can you see me on Dragons Den doing my pitch :lol::lol:

Setup looks great ! Who else but bunny lovers could get so excited over poops and wees :lol: wouldn't it be great if we could get buns to wear little nappy pants :D perhaps I'll have a go at designing some, can you see me on Dragons Den doing my pitch :lol::lol:

You'd have to make them out of something non-edible... oh wait.... everything is edible according to rabbits :lol:

Looks much tidier now. :) Great set up xx

Looking good :)
I'm not surprised it's easier to clean, the old one was huge!

Haha it really was, very good because hay generally stayed put in it though and such a big area that they never once considered going anywhere else to wee or poo! But I'd have to kneel down, get my hands all dirty putting the newspaper and hay into the bin liner and then use loads of kitchen roll and disinfectant to wipe the whole big thing down, now it's really quick! Tbh cleaning the big one didn't take that much time if I was focussed, but the rabbits made sure I could not focus by running off with anything and everything and jumping in the tray before I'd finished and refusing to budge to I couldn't put newspaper down... then shredding the newspaper before I got the chance to put hay in.... this one they don't get those opportunities :p

No more accidents today, lots of hay eaten too of course, they're very happy with the new set up :D they've been asleep all day in their cupboard like usual, they're saving all their naughtiness for the evening I think! (Oh actually Arthur was naughty earlier he did a heart attack inducing DBF in the cupboard, I could tell he was still alive though because he was chatting away to himself in his dreams :lol:)

Cleaning out is SO much easier! No sitting down on my hands and knees and fending off bunnies who need to see what I'm doing and then inevitable getting in my way and emptying the dustbin bag causing poops to fly everywhere, just pick the tray up, tip it all into the outside bin, then wipe it down with animal safe disinfectant, fresh newspaper, fresh hay and done!

I just had to referee a match of tug-of-war over a particularly stalky bit of hay :roll: Lilly won, and I found another, probably more stalky, bit of hay for Arthur :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: it takes me a whole day to clean out all six of my lot for the sane reasons - they have to supervise me and "help" :roll::lol:

My lot also decide that the hay they've had in their hutch is suddenly the most delicious hay ever now it's in the bin bags :roll::lol: I always have to remember to check all bunnies are accounted for before I put it in the bin :lol: can you imagine the bin men surprise if a bunny hopped out in their lorry? :shock:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back