• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

final bonding stage ?

kelbel

New Kit
So. I got my second bun last week. I have been bonding them in the garage for over a week. They've spent about two hours together each day. They don't fight but the boy is still obsessed with smelling the girl's bottom and occasionally trying to mount her which she won't allow. I moved them into the house and they both run around like dining room without really bothering each other. When is it safe to start making them share a cage?

In the first instance, are they both neutered? I would not attempt to place them in shared accommodation until they were neutered, not least because male + female = babies!

If they are already neutered then you need to take the bonding stage a bit further before they share accommodation 24/7. At the moment, they're only spending 2 hours together so you need to have increased that to all day before considering continuing the bonding overnight. ONLY When they are spending 24 hour periods together in the bonding area do you consider moving them to their permanent housing. Be prepared for bonding to take a slight step backwards when you move them as they'll be keen to put their stamp on the new territory.

Back