• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honey not eating her pellets

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi,

Seriously upset this morning, honey isn't eating her pellets. She will happily eat some hay, cauli and dandelion leaves. I have even soaked them this morning and she did take a few but has left them. This is so unlike honey as he is a true ganett and normally polishes them off within 10 mins or so.

Because she is still eating hay etc is it likely to be her teeth?

She is still lying out as usual fully out with her legs out, not hunched and can't see that she seems to be in pain.

I'm still a complete wreck about our vets due to Harvey, but honestly do you think she needs to go?

Thanks, Ruth

What's her output like? If that is normal and provided she is still eating (as you describe) I'd watch closely for a few hours to see what happens. If anything worsens, vet immediately although, obviously, a different one if you can. Poor Honey :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She'a still drinking absolutly fine, pooping and weeing normally. (Poops are stil the same size, just a little dark)

I know.. My poor girly! Thanks SJH, yeah I'll keep a close eye on her and will see how she goes this morning!

Xx

What's her output like? If that is normal and provided she is still eating (as you describe) I'd watch closely for a few hours to see what happens. If anything worsens, vet immediately although, obviously, a different one if you can. Poor Honey :(

^ This is good advice I think. I've noticed when my buns have a bit of stasis, pellets are sometimes the last things they want. Its like they know that they need the fibre from hay etc to make them feel better - similar to how a human wouldn't want a plate of chips when feeling queasy!

Do keep an eye on her though and if it gets worse, or doesn't improve, don't hesitate to see what the vet thinks. :)

Thanks both,

I actually added a little water to them about an hour ago, and she's just been tucking into them now. Phew the relief!!! And yeah it may well have been she needed some more fibre as he has eaten quite abit of hay and done quite a big pile of poops. so I'll still keep an eye on her but fingers crossed she'll be okay xx

Hiya,

Thanks so much! :) and my god they really do! :(

Normally she has 3 small servings of her pellets, she ate all of this mornings, and has eaten about half of her 4pm feed. She's also eaten some herbs, So feeling much better now although still keeping an eye. Her pooping is absolutely fine & weeing normally, so maybe it was a little build up.

She's sleeping at the moment, and is still rather quiet but still keeping a close eye & fingers crossed she's okay. Thanks for all your support, my god.. Certainly like to keep me on my toes!

Xx

Hi everyone,

Well honey is certainly back to her cheeky self, lapping round our lounge! :)

But I can't help wondering if there is something else... She's still not touching her pellets unless I add water, as soon as I add water she has her head straight in her bowl and muches away. She's eating hay, her veg and has no trouble eating her fenugreek crunchie! As well as chewing her cardboard castle, her little veg patch & demolishing apple sticks. So I'm guessing her teeth are okay?

Sorry to ask, but She is only 4 and a half months old, and really can't understand why all of a sudden she won't eat her pellets dry?

Has anyone else's bunny ever done this? Xx

I'm glad she's feeling better.

I've never come across anything like this but a tooth issue makes sense. May be wise to get a check-up?

I have no personal knowledge but the only thing that springs to mind from what I have read on hear points to teeth.

But would teeth be an issue in a young bunny that has the correct diet?

As everyone else has said keep an eye on her poops and maybe get her checked out just to put your mind at rest.

Just another thought, you're not coming to the end of a packet/box of pellets that may have lost their flavour?? You know how picky some buns can be.

Hope she's ok this morning.:love:

I have no personal knowledge but the only thing that springs to mind from what I have read on hear points to teeth.

But would teeth be an issue in a young bunny that has the correct diet?

As everyone else has said keep an eye on her poops and maybe get her checked out just to put your mind at rest.

Just another thought, you're not coming to the end of a packet/box of pellets that may have lost their flavour?? You know how picky some buns can be.

Hope she's ok this morning.:love:

Hi Den, thank you so much and wow think you've got it. They are literally just coming to the end of a 10kg bag.. So this may be spot on. I didn't even give this a second thought, but yes I should have thought! It's typical she would be picky! ;)

oh yes, once again shes happy enough chewing & being a cheeky girl as well as pooing for England! ;) Honey has again polished off her pellets no problem this morning and this time was half wet, half dry!

I'm going throw out the rest of these pellets, and start them on another bag. All our others are 2kg, so hopefully they'll keep fresh for them and see how she goes when I feed her later.

Thank you so much, and phew the relief!! Xxx

Hi Den, thank you so much and wow think you've got it. They are literally just coming to the end of a 10kg bag.. So this may be spot on. I didn't even give this a second thought, but yes I should have thought! It's typical she would be picky! ;)

oh yes, once again shes happy enough chewing & being a cheeky girl as well as pooing for England! ;) Honey has again polished off her pellets no problem this morning and this time was half wet, half dry!

I'm going throw out the rest of these pellets, and start them on another bag. All our others are 2kg, so hopefully they'll keep fresh for them and see how she goes when I feed her later.

Thank you so much, and phew the relief!! Xxx

How's Honey doing now? Did she eat the new pellets? Xxx

Hey there, just caught up with this one, What a worry, as if you don't have enough on your plate with Harvey and all, the bottom of the bag syndrome could well be it, my two do get a bit fussy about the lat few in the bag, I just mix them in with the new lot and they still disappear though, no stray nuggets left at dinner time.

Hope she continues to improve and gets back to her usual self.

Lots of vibes coming your way for the both of them, and you too, keep up the good work.

Hi both, thanks so much and I know.. They really do like to worry me!

Well I'm so relieved, it looks like it was the old pellets, as she's eaten the new ones no problem.. Still the odd few in her bowl, but she's eaten most of them so I'm over the moon.

Little tinker, such a fussy madam!

And thanks Riggs, means so much! Just roll on march, February has just been an awful month, but finally some more good news as my job is no longer at risk of redundancy, so that's a huge relief too! Xx

Back