• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Positive update!! - Daisy's abscess *Graphic photo*

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Daisy is still poorly, she now has an abscess in her jaw :cry:. She is having surgery on Monday to drain it. She only had a GA just less than 3 weeks ago.

16396084197_fbca4ccc7b.jpg

16577389776_9f3ed9fe0a.jpg

15981182444_d5c3d3195c.jpg

16416316770_7f1f09782b.jpg

Last edited:
Awww....what a sweetie :love: I hope her surgery goes well and that she will be back to herself soon. :)
It must be hard to see her go through so much, poor thing. Thinking of you both and sending lots of vibes. xxxx

Awww....what a sweetie :love: I hope her surgery goes well and that she will be back to herself soon. :)
It must be hard to see her go through so much, poor thing. Thinking of you both and sending lots of vibes. xxxx

Thanks Mimzmum (I feel bad always saying your username - I don't know your name :oops:) unfortunately Daisy's recent diagnosis of health issues aren't curable, they can only be managed. There's no guarantee then that she will even improve even if we get her through Mondays op :cry: They are unable to remove the abscess fully because it's on her jaw and having recently been diagnosed with arthritis in the jaw and it being infected; it'll be too risky and it could potentially cause a break. So it's all very scary. My poor girl, she is only 3 years old. Her life now has potentially been shortened and it breaks my heart. She's so special xx

For those who are not aware/haven't seen my recent threads Daisy unfortunately had an abscess on her jaw as a result of infected tooth roots. She had an operation on Monday to have it lanced and drained but it soon refilled again. So she went back today for another operation to have it lanced and drained again, but this time a bigger incision made than last time. He said he would do it like how a biopsy is done. I think on Monday, the incision was maybe a little too small and it healed up too quickly. But this time it should hopefully be able to stay open with us keeping it clean and flushed. John (vet) also sent of a swab to the lab just to check what infection we are dealing with and to see if she is on the right antibiotics. She has been put on an the antibiotic Zithromax which she has to start this evening, it is apparently quite strong and specifically targets bacteria and micro-organisms within infections (skin and flesh) etc. So fingers crossed this will work out! Daisy has been ever so brave, she is eating straight away, anesthetics really does not affect her at all. She is being really good with her hand feeding and taking her critical care. She is now on 0.3ml of metacam twice a day and 0.2ml of Zithromax twice a day. I am also giving her 20ml of critical care twice a day so she is getting at least 40ml twice a day, plus she is also eating on her own too.

I am really hoping that we can get Daisy through this, shes such a special little piggy and a real fighter. She is only 3 (4 in December) so I would really like to have a few more years with her at least. I am trying not to to get my hopes up too much yet, but she is gaining weight so I am hoping for the best. Today's procedure and meds cost £173.13, a grand total of £528.13 in just 3 and half weeks. She is worth every penny though. I would do anything for them, would sell a kidney if i had to!

This photo is after Monday's lancing and draining...

16662448891_9695fee2b9.jpg

After Today's operation...

16043944043_1a53907807.jpg

Just to show you how much of a fighter she is...

16044003393_44fd06467b.jpg

16043963683_64a0acd7b8.jpg

16662888712_979b55073c.jpg

16638342846_5d2c34edfe.jpg

16456972247_a5bf7fb623.jpg

16456973047_f126119b00.jpg

*Please note* I now know not to use the big critical care syringe so am now using a 1ml syringe. Just thought I would say.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear Daisy's poorly :cry: I have all my fingers crossed for you and her that she pulls through this and you have many happy years together yet xx

Oh poor baby :(. That looks so sore and painful. Wishing her a speedy recovey xx.

I have to say that the zithromax dosage seems quite low - Toots is just over 1kg and she's currently on 1ml a day, following surgery to remove a lump n her leg/groin area.. Jaffa, who is 1.2kg was on 1.2ml a day for a URI. We go to Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic - same place Debbie from TEAS goes to with all her dental pigs. Might be worth messaging Debbie to see what her dental piggies are usually on and then discussing it with your vet.

Oh poor baby :(. That looks so sore and painful. Wishing her a speedy recovey xx.

I have to say that the zithromax dosage seems quite low - Toots is just over 1kg and she's currently on 1ml a day, following surgery to remove a lump n her leg/groin area.. Jaffa, who is 1.2kg was on 1.2ml a day for a URI. We go to Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic - same place Debbie from TEAS goes to with all her dental pigs. Might be worth messaging Debbie to see what her dental piggies are usually on and then discussing it with your vet.

Thanks Mackers, Yeah I am on TGPF and was already told about this. So i am going to be giving her 0.8ml a day but divided into 0.4ml twice a day. Daisy is only 840 grams at the moment as a result of her being poorly. She used to be just over 1kg. Need to make sure this nasty abscess goes away.

What a little trooper she is! :love:
That wound reminds me of when my Siamese cat was attacked by a neighborhood stray and was bitten on her backside, she had something that looked like that about the size of a silver dollar. :( Took a long time to heal and she was a caution when it came to keeping it clean for her, but she recovered well. Of course it's a different story for the little animals like rabbits and piggies. :( I will keep Daisy in my thoughts and prayers that she'll heal well, and whatever is in her future, there is no doubt that she is so very lucky to have you caring for her. :love:
And my name is Mary. :) That'll be a lot easier than Mimzmum. ;)

Oh Daisy and Jackaroonie .. my Heart goes out to you both! Superstars you are! X

Daisy is a wonderful beautiful spirit, she's handling it all so well, blessings of love and strength to you both . Big Hugs!!!!! X

What a little trooper she is! :love:
That wound reminds me of when my Siamese cat was attacked by a neighborhood stray and was bitten on her backside, she had something that looked like that about the size of a silver dollar. :( Took a long time to heal and she was a caution when it came to keeping it clean for her, but she recovered well. Of course it's a different story for the little animals like rabbits and piggies. :( I will keep Daisy in my thoughts and prayers that she'll heal well, and whatever is in her future, there is no doubt that she is so very lucky to have you caring for her. :love:
And my name is Mary. :) That'll be a lot easier than Mimzmum. ;)

Thank you Mary, you are always so kind and supportive! I really appreciate everyone vibes and prayers. I've spent a large part of the night cleaning Daisy's wound and trying to ensure that it stays open. She has had her first dose of the antibiotic last night. So fingers crossed. It's going to be a long journey ahead :( There was some gunk in there which I've wiped away with a cotton pad with salt boiled water. I've also flushed it the best I can. Going to be doing it as much as possible in the first few days while the antibiotic kicks in.

It could apparently take up to 11 weeks to get better. Plus the likelyhood of it returning is apparently quite high :( it's hard to think positively anymore. But as Daisy is continuing to fight, we will help her.
Oh Daisy and Jackaroonie .. my Heart goes out to you both! Superstars you are! X

Daisy is a wonderful beautiful spirit, she's handling it all so well, blessings of love and strength to you both . Big Hugs!!!!! X

Thank you!:) x

Last edited:
Back