• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smelly corner of run!!

joybell

Warren Scout
I wonder if anyone can offer suggestions on how to prevent smelly corner of run - a favourite place for wees and poos. I clean up everyday but still very smelly. The run is used by mum and 3 youngsters and is uncovered so I can't leave a litter box, or litter pellets (tried that,:shock: nasty soggy mess after rain) Is there some sort of effective deodoriser which won't harm the bunnies? :roll:

You could try a covered cat litter tray perhaps?

Not sure about deodorisers I'm afraid.

Hi Hele,
Thank you for that suggestion. I'm so ignorant, I didn't even know you could get covered cat litter trays! I'll look out for one, it's got to be better than wee soaked soil.

I use litter trays for the toilet corner, I used to use covered ones but one of the rabbits doesn't like them, so I make do with the bottom part and then have a tarpaulin over the run to keep off most of the rain - but it needs cleaning out after a rainy day. I also wash the area regularly with a vinegar and water mix - I sweep it and then chuck a bucket or two of water and vinegar in the run and then sweep again. This would only work for runs on paving/concrete though. Make sure it is dry or rinsed with clean water before the bunnies are allowed back in.

Thank you Nessar,

That part of the enclosure hasn't a roof but I could probably rig up something over the toilet area. The covered litter trays seem quite pricey and I wouldn't mind but the buns already have 2 litter trays in their shed - they like to spread themselves! :D Don't we spend a fortune on our buns. I swear they are more expensive to keep than my 4 dogs!

Thank you Nessar,

That part of the enclosure hasn't a roof but I could probably rig up something over the toilet area. The covered litter trays seem quite pricey and I wouldn't mind but the buns already have 2 litter trays in their shed - they like to spread themselves! :D Don't we spend a fortune on our buns. I swear they are more expensive to keep than my 4 dogs!

Have a look around, I think I spent about £15 and got it from eBay, but p@h do a budget one around that price too. No point in the expensive ones as its only going to sit in the rain. Temporarily a carrier would do if you want to see whether they'll use a tray there.

Back