• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor Housing Help :)

Miffymoo

New Kit
Hi,

I currently have an indoor bunny, who I am planning to change to an outdoor bunny in a couple of months. I have started looking at housing options for her, and I really don't know where to start!

She is a fairly big rabbit (so I am told) so I want to make sure her new home will be cosy yet roomy for her! A friend of mine told me about Omlet Eglu hutches - which I was sold on, until I started reading some reviews and hearing a lot of people say the Eglu bit is too small for a bunny to be kept in overnight.

Does anybody have one of these Eglu hutches, or know of any better housing options?

Thanks,

Em x

Oh I'm so glad you didn't buy one of those awful Eglus, have a browse through the housing section on here, there are so many awesome ideas on there. As your bun is moving outside have you considered getting them a friend to play with and snuggle up with in winter. Some helpful person will probably post a link for you. Good luck xx

Thanks for your reply mushlett...I have been browsing, and some of them look amazing. Yep, I would love it if she can bond with a bunny. I have e-mailed an animal rescue place to see if they offer a bonding service. This is my first bunny and I don't think I would know where to start doing it myself! xx

Thanks for your reply mushlett...I have been browsing, and some of them look amazing. Yep, I would love it if she can bond with a bunny. I have e-mailed an animal rescue place to see if they offer a bonding service. This is my first bunny and I don't think I would know where to start doing it myself! xx

That's great, I'm sure you will find a rescue that is happy to help :) xx

I would always advise a Playhouse which offers more protection from weather and predators. They really love living in these and you can attach a run or aviary to it. Playhouses last a lot longer than hutches and don't cost that much more. If you buy a hutch you will also need some form of covering to keep it dry and keep the wind out.

i'd definitely recommend a shed and run setup. playhouses are good too although generally a little smaller and less head room!! you can insulate sheds and/or put in a hide box or small hutch for them to go in to snuggle if they want.

This was my old setup (the run was attached by a cat flap):
IMG_3496_zps748b08ee.jpg

and then last year i bought this off a member on here which i love :D
E48FAC72-2661-4781-A495-264C697C9CF2-6198-0000038CF821BF8A_zps81b439c1.jpg

i also think sheds are more fox proof than hutches

i'd definitely recommend a shed and run setup. playhouses are good too although generally a little smaller and less head room!! you can insulate sheds and/or put in a hide box or small hutch for them to go in to snuggle if they want.

This was my old setup (the run was attached by a cat flap):
IMG_3496_zps748b08ee.jpg

and then last year i bought this off a member on here which i love :D
E48FAC72-2661-4781-A495-264C697C9CF2-6198-0000038CF821BF8A_zps81b439c1.jpg

i also think sheds are more fox proof than hutches

Brilliant set ups. Where did you get that awesome run? Need runs for both my sheds.

Brilliant set ups. Where did you get that awesome run? Need runs for both my sheds.

in the first picture? its from the welfare hutch company :) I'm actually selling it at some point. they're really good i definitely recommend them

I have both a wendy house in a large enclosure, and recently bought a 6' x 6' shed with a 6' x 4' attached aviary in another large enclosure. I would definitely recommend the shed over the wendy house. I keep cracking my head getting in/out of the wendy house and can't stand up properly and I'm only 5'3". Shed is wonderful as you can create ledges for the buns and yourself to sit on and much easier to lean out. Good luck!

Here is a thread all about different housing options, you'll find it pinned at the top of the housing section: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing-Tips-amp-Examples

It really depends on the space you have available and what you prefer, but personally I have a hutch + run but would much rather have a shed +run. It's rather a shock to the system going from having a housebunny to having to clean your bunny out in the rain and cold, and a shed means you can clean them out in the dry and also can still sit with them in winter. I couldn't hack it and ended up bringing my bunnies back inside for the winter, as I just grew to dread going out there in winter.

Here's some examples of my hutch + run setup, it's a 6x2ft hutch and a 8x6ft run. Bear in mind that if your rabbit is large, she may need taller and wider accommodation than what is normally suitable. She needs to be able to stand fully upright without her ears touching the roof and be able to lie down in any direction without touching the sides in her hutch and needs to be able to jump in the air in her run, so if she is big you may be looking at something 3ft tall and 3ft deep and maybe over 6ft long for the hutch, it depends how big she is - do you know her breed or her weight?

I'm currently having this one made up for mine when they move outside
4df071583d716c1f8dfc2c6a24171096.jpg
284d0b50b987c9b1dd4e21a525f36860.jpg

The progress so far
0ed09f67285e65a7ab5fc5ba609d63dd.jpg

Great when you have inlaws that can knock something like this up in a week or two [emoji4]

Mine was all in hutches at first and had the run of the garden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I currently have an indoor bunny, who I am planning to change to an outdoor bunny in a couple of months. I have started looking at housing options for her, and I really don't know where to start!

She is a fairly big rabbit (so I am told) so I want to make sure her new home will be cosy yet roomy for her! A friend of mine told me about Omlet Eglu hutches - which I was sold on, until I started reading some reviews and hearing a lot of people say the Eglu bit is too small for a bunny to be kept in overnight.

Does anybody have one of these Eglu hutches, or know of any better housing options?

Thanks,

Em x

Hi
Definitely don't bother with an Eglu, bought one and used it for about a week! Not big enough inside for one bunny let alone two in the night :( and I have dwarf lops!! Sorry can't offer alternative as all mine live inside....did use the Eglu for a couple of ducks in the end!! Haha :) ....btw they are very expensive and you could buy a fantastic sturdy shed with a large run for the same money :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in the first picture? its from the welfare hutch company :) I'm actually selling it at some point. they're really good i definitely recommend them

Awesome. I love the welfare hutch co. Got a hutch from them. Drop me a pm if you do want to sell.

Back