PDA

View Full Version : vaccinating after stasis



weedug
20-02-2015, 04:01 PM
How soon after stasis would it be ok to vaccinate? Assuming the bun has been fine, and will obviously be health checked before the vaccination.

Stator
20-02-2015, 04:08 PM
At least 2 weeks, probably more

Jack's-Jane
20-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Depends on the individual case- what caused the stasis, how long the Rabbit was ill, things like that.

weedug
20-02-2015, 04:19 PM
It was for Timmy. He needs to see the vet about his eye next week, so I will see how he has been and what they say.

The cause seems unknown, although I wonder if I got his metacam dose mixed up, and he wasn't eating for 12 hours. He did need on a drip though, so thinking on it I do wonder if it is a bit soon.

Jack's-Jane
20-02-2015, 04:44 PM
It was for Timmy. He needs to see the vet about his eye next week, so I will see how he has been and what they say.

The cause seems unknown, although I wonder if I got his metacam dose mixed up, and he wasn't eating for 12 hours. He did need on a drip though, so thinking on it I do wonder if it is a bit soon.

Personally I would not want to vaccinate him next week, especially if his eye ulcers have flared up again now.

MightyMax
20-02-2015, 04:46 PM
It was for Timmy. He needs to see the vet about his eye next week, so I will see how he has been and what they say.

The cause seems unknown, although I wonder if I got his metacam dose mixed up, and he wasn't eating for 12 hours. He did need on a drip though, so thinking on it I do wonder if it is a bit soon.

I would wait until a rabbit seems happy and healthy and has been so for about 2 weeks. So long as his condition is fairly stable.

weedug
20-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Personally I would not want to vaccinate him next week, especially if his eye ulcers have flared up again now.

Timmy's ulcer started again last year, and have been around all this time. I expect the ulcer probably had something to do with him not eating.

I really feel he has suffered with this one for long enough, which was why I was thinking of asking about the septrin for his next visit.

Although he is overdue the vaccine now, after the replies I think he would be better to wait a little until I know he is feeling ok.

I have developed a sty in one of my eyes yesterday and it is really painful so I can imagine how much pain this ulcer is causing him.

nessar
21-02-2015, 01:20 AM
It's different in each case, but I would say when you feel confident that he is completely recovered, stable and you don't feel the vaccination puts him at risk in some way. The vaccination needs to trigger a decent immune response in order to work, so vaccinating a rabbit with a struggling immune system is counter productive.

Try not to worry if he is a bit overdue - the protection doesn't just last a year then stop, it fades over time, so will offer some partial protection for a while, and we're not in high-risk myxi season yet.