• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden death

CPatch

New Kit
I've had two rabbits Chai and Hendrick for just under a year. I got them from RSPCA as a bonded pair. Chai a female, Hendrick a male. Both neutered. They lived outside but came in regularly for cuddles and play. Hendrick is the more curious bunny and Chai was very chilled. They were best buddies and I never saw them fight. Sometimes they might chase each other and he would hump her but not for long and he never was aggressive. What I'm leading to is that yesterday my husband found Chai curled up on her side in the corner of her run. She was convered in wee and poo and her back legs were floppy. We washed her and wrapped her in a towel and I cuddled her. She was very lethargic and I though she had been poisoned. I noticed a bald patch just above her tail. We decided to take her to the vet. Having turned her over and inspecting her the vet found blood in her vaginal area and some bruising. She said the other rabbit most likely had been humping her but said it was unusual since he was neutered. We left the poorly rabbit with the vet so she could be put on a drip. She was in shock. An hour later the vet called to say she had got worse and was now in an oxygen tent and also said it didn't look good and did we want her put to sleep. I decided I wanted to bring her home if she was going to die. Before we got to the vet she had already died. I'm just totally at a loss to understand what happened. Can a rabbit hurt another in this way?. He had never been aggressive to her before. Can a rabbit just change? We have been handling him today and he is not aggressive at all. He also doesn't seem to be moping over the loss of the other. I also wonder if it was stress that made her ill, then having the vet messing with her might have made her worse. Should I have kept her at home where it was less stressful. Lots of Questions I know but it all seems so odd I can't make sense of it.

I am very sorry to read about Chai. Your remaining rabbit sounds as if he is coping with the loss of his friend.

You were right to take her to the vet. Rabbits are prey animals and hide their pain/illness very well. If she was collapsed when you found her it is very likely that whatever the reason she needed a vet asap and intensive care. Is there any chance a predator, like a rat, could have got to her?

Are your vets rabbit savvy?

It is difficult to say what could have happened but I would be surprised if your other rabbit did this. Possibly she could have been humping him and he has bitten her bits but if it was such a bad injury I would expect there to be a lot of blood in the run/hutch/cage where they live.

The other option is VHD. Jane asked if she was up to date on her vacs because VHD (Viral Hemorrhaging Disease) is a disease that causes the rabbit to bleed to death internally and is very fast acting with little symptoms until it is too late.

You could always have a postmortem done to find out why she died but I would understand if that was something you decide against.

I am very sorry for your loss. I hope your other bun copes well until you decide where to go from here. x

The only other pets that live out with the rabbits are a cat and three chickens. The cat is scared of the chickens and he sometimes gets In the hutch with the rabbits. The cat is too lazy so I don't think it's him and the chucks aren't interested. The only other predictor I have seen is a sparrow hawk after the doves. I've seen it catch a dove. Whould it go for a rabbit? If it did surely there would be deep wounds and there weren't any like that. It was day time so I wouldn't expect a fox. No rats about as I've seen.
The vet said that rabbits don't make good patients and that they don't tend to recover from shock. She had an xray and nothing showed up on there.

I don't know what to suggest other than maybe checking your garden for toxic plants? Maybe she managed to eat one somehow. I'm so sorry for your loss xxx :(

The only other pets that live out with the rabbits are a cat and three chickens. The cat is scared of the chickens and he sometimes gets In the hutch with the rabbits. The cat is too lazy so I don't think it's him and the chucks aren't interested. The only other predictor I have seen is a sparrow hawk after the doves. I've seen it catch a dove. Whould it go for a rabbit? If it did surely there would be deep wounds and there weren't any like that. It was day time so I wouldn't expect a fox. No rats about as I've seen.
The vet said that rabbits don't make good patients and that they don't tend to recover from shock. She had an xray and nothing showed up on there.

I think that a PM examination would be the only way to find answers to your questions. Even then a PM may be 'inconclusive'. I really am very sorry :cry:

RIP Chai xx

i'm so sorry for your loss :( agree that a PM may be the way to go to get answers, and make sure your other bunny isn't at risk. I hope Hendrick and you are coping xx

Your vet is right. Some rabbits recover from shock, with appropriate treatment, but many more don't. I'm so sorry x

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's terrible not knowing what was wrong with them, but unfortunately sometimes that's how it goes (speaking from recent experience).

Has your male been thoroughly checked out for bruising etc and possible infection since she got ill?

Binky free little Chai. xx

Back