• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinating an elder house bunny

fillygal

Warren Scout
Hi guys

I have recently rescued an elderly 10 year old bunny who has been adopted by a couple local to me - he is very treasured so has well and truly landed on all paws - just in your options would you recommend to vaccinate - he is a house bunny in a semi rural area not close to immediate contact with wild rabbits but I'm obviously aware of the airborne risks and insects etc but I think they are worried about the side effects in an older rabbit they luv him so much :love::love:

I have chatted to them about it and they feel as it doesn't give total protection if he got it he would be too old and fragile to fight it - he was previously kept outside for all if his 10 years and never contracted anything but I know he may just have been lucky.

bunnnnnnnnies - such a worry:roll:

I would discuss it all in detail with a Bunny savvy Vet, including a thorough examination of the Bunny. His age alone should not be the deciding factor as to whether or not to vaccinate :)

If they in good health then we vaccinate all our rabbits regardless of age. We have vaccinated plenty of ten years plus rabbits and had no issues at all with the combined vaccine.

However with the previous individual vaccines we never bothered once they reached nine as it caused too many to become ill afterwards :(

Thanks both - he is registered with a very good vet so will see if I can persuade them to pop along for a chat - he has had a thorough check up and seems to be in good health for an elder bun so if he was mine I would defiantly vaccinate - so with vets confirmation hopefully they will.

Thanks again :wave:

I can see their point of view, certainly!

I think, in discussion with the vet, the rabbit's real state of health can be the deciding factor. They may want a blood test anyway to determine how he's doing before going in for vaccination

Thanks both - he is registered with a very good vet so will see if I can persuade them to pop along for a chat - he has had a thorough check up and seems to be in good health for an elder bun so if he was mine I would defiantly vaccinate - so with vets confirmation hopefully they will.

Thanks again :wave:

It sounds as though the dear old chap has found himself quite a few humans to make sure he is well looked after :love:

Back