• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Home Check

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
We're being home checked for a new bunny friend for Rascal on Saturday.

Do any of you know what kind of thing they'll be looking at/for and what I should expect??

Thanks

Jo x

how exciting! they will probably just look at accommodation and have a chat with you about bunnies :D nothing to be worried about at all!

It depends on the rescue.

If it was me checking I would ask questions and talk you through bonding techniques. I would look at your set up and that I was happy it was large enough and secure. I would discuss diet and common illnesses and make sure you have holiday care cover.

I tend to ask if people want me to take my shoes off as a text to see how house proud they are so if they ask that say no :lol:

Good luck and remember they want you to adopt so aren't there to judge just to help an suggest any changes if needed

I can't seem to post a piccie but the current set up is a 15ft x 8ft aviary style run with a proper roof and 3 walls (meshed at the front which is covered by clear tarps in winter). There is an 8ft double hutch in there and there are ramps, tunnels and toys.

They have fleecies and a fully carpeted 'bedroom' for if they need a snuggle. I have 3 snugglesafes for winter and icepods for summer.

The bunnies will get a supervised run out in the garden twice a day.

They'll have access to hay 24/7 and fresh water twice a day, I currently fee Science Selective pellets for breakfast and fresh greens/herbs for supper.

Rascal has pet insurance and I will get the new bunny insured too.

There is bunny boarding near me but when I went away in September I paid my neighbour (who LOVES bunnies) to come and look after them and she did a fab job and said she'd be happy to do it again.

The rescue has said that they'll help with bonding (I did originally bond Dizzi and Rascal myself but I don't know if it will be more difficult this time as Rascal has previously had a partner!?!?).

Does that sound ok??

x

When I had mine it was just to check the size and suitability of the accommodation. It was really quick and easy. She asked about bunnyproofing wires and if they'd get outside at all. I think that was it.

Sounds like you'll do fine :) Good luck. Is your 'run' on hard standing of some description or have mesh under the turf so that's it's fully predator proof?

It's on paving stones and is attached two walls, its 6ft high so it's pretty sturdy and heavy.

How do I post a pic? I seem to have lost the little toolbar that lets you insert one.

How do I post a pic? I seem to have lost the little toolbar that lets you insert one.
Type
' or 'www' bit of your link, and at the end put
:) So it should be "
image1.jpg
"

Wow your set up is lovely! :love:

Have you decided on a bunny yet or are you going to send Rascal off and have him choose? You might be able to have a trio with all that space ;) good luck with your home check, sounds like you'll do absolutely great and you'll be able to have a new bunny with you soon!

Wow your set up is lovely! :love:

Have you decided on a bunny yet or are you going to send Rascal off and have him choose? You might be able to have a trio with all that space ;) good luck with your home check, sounds like you'll do absolutely great and you'll be able to have a new bunny with you soon!

Aww thank you, we've reserved a little girl bunny and as soon as her hormones have calmed down (she's just recently been spayed) then Rascal will be going off to meet her and see how they get on.

There are only 3 bunnies in our local rescue, the little girlie (Holly) we've reserved for Rascal and a bonded pair. Holly was found as a stray just before Christmas, they think she was released because she was a bit feisty ...... the bunny lady said she's really calmed down since her spay and is now really friendly!

You've got a lovely set-up!

Anybun would be lucky to live there. :D xx

Lol my 'Hollie bun' was found straying near Christmas - hence her name! Hope all goes well, but am sure it will.

Thanks all, the bunny lady has been for home check this morning and its a thumbs up! So two weeks today we will take Rascal along to meet Holly and then if they get on for the day, I can bring them both home and see how they go (I'm going to take a couple of days off work so I can keep a close eye on them!)!

Very relieved, I was a nervous wreck! lol

xx

Thanks all, the bunny lady has been for home check this morning and its a thumbs up! So two weeks today we will take Rascal along to meet Holly and then if they get on for the day, I can bring them both home and see how they go (I'm going to take a couple of days off work so I can keep a close eye on them!)!

xx

Great news :thumb: you had no need to be nervous but I know that's easier said than done ;)

xx

I'm not surprised at you got a thumbs up with that fabulous set up :) you'd nothing to worry about! Can't wait to see some pics of the budding romance when it happens :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back