• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A rescue has buns outdoor: they are asking what to do at -10 deg. C?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I am posting on behalf of a rescue in KY, USA. It's turning -10 deg. C tomorrow. They need to know how to keep the bun outside from freezing. They can't bring them all in, only 2 at the most.

It's tough to say without more info on the housing set up. What are the rabbits living in - -10oc outside doesn't mean it will be that cold in a shed/barn for example. I'd suggest straw for bedding and then some insulation to whatever the rabbits are in. If they are in a big shed you could line the walls with straw bales.

I had rabbits outside during our bad winters a few years ago. The hutch was lined on the outside with bubble wrap to help insulate it, and I had a duvet over the hutch and hanging down over the front, and a tarpaulin over that to keep the duvet dry. And lots of straw inside. I also used a heatpad under the water dishes to help stop them freezing, and had a brick in the hutch that was slightly heated to help keep it cosy inside.

My bunnies were outside when we had -14 temperatures in 2010. I did very similar to Weedug.

I still had one group in a hutch and run set-up back then. I locked them in the hutch at night to keep them warm. Cleaned out twice a day to minimise the amount of damp/wet bedding in their accommodation. I stuffed lots of straw and hay into the hutch. I insulated the hutch by covering it with a couple of cheap duvets and then covered over the duvets with tarpaulin. I also used duvet/tarpaulin to cover over the front of the hutch at night. I used Snugglesafe heatpads, but they don't stay warm for long in very cold temperatures, so I would do a final heatpad change at midnight and then get up at 5am to change the heatpads again. I remember that winter the freezing weather and snow went on from November until January, I was on my knees by the end of it. 2010 is a winter that I can't forget! Bunnies were absolutely fine.

I remember that winter the freezing weather and snow went on from November until January, I was on my knees by the end of it. 2010 is a winter that I can't forget!.
The worst bit was the snow went and THEN it went down to -14° :evil: My plants, which had been nicely insulated by the snow, froze into the roots and died :( If there's snow, it's much warmer under it!

So if they have any plants, it can be used to block the wind and the snow. That's not bad. Regardless, turns out they have decided to move all the little bunnies inside

Lock them into hutches that are small, rain proof and draught proof, then pack the hutches with large amounts of hay and straw. Make sure any snow or ice is cleared off the top of the hutches quickly.

Back