• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with a behaviour

lollypop1984

Young Bun
Hi guys, just had my 2 buns out in the run for a couple of hours. the last half hour 1 of my rabbits started to stomp her back foot (only1) and making a low grumble noise. Im a little unsure what this means. She likes to jump on my back and she did it on my back as well. Im unsure if she saw anything but the noise she mad was very quiet. i was sat in there run, so not sure if she had had enough of me being in there.
Any advice
Thanks

Stomping of the feet is a warning signal to the rest of the warren - it is usually used when the rabbit feels threatened or scared in some way. Occasionally they'll use it when really annoyed but usually its a threat.

The way to stop them doing it is simply to make them feel safe and secure. Make sure that the run is sheltered from the elements and that they have a couple of hiding places like a tunnel and a hide - rabbits always need somewhere that they feel they can escape to if danger comes along and as prey animals they can feel really vulnerable and nervous if they don't know the 'escape route'.

Animals like dogs, cats, birds, foxes and strange rabbits can also set them off, so try to keep other animals away from them. Children as well can be seen as a threat due to their quick movements and loud noises.

If they are not used to the run or being outside that can also make them feel insecure. So yeah, basically you need to find what is making them nervous and then once you fix it the stomping should stop. Or if it's due to annoyance you can fix whatever it is that they don't like- my Annabella stomps as she runs away after I've picked her up and groomed her, because it upsets her.

What PPs have said should help. If their run is away from their normal housing, it might make them uncomfortable because they can't get back to the place they know as 'safe' if they get startled. So having hiding places for them to go where you can't fuss them and they can feel like it's 'theirs' is a good idea.

Course it might not work. Hugh is in his own room, with his safe place where I never grab him or fuss him against his will and plenty of places to hide, and he still has thumping episodes. Usually when I walk past the door too quickly or make a loud noise from another room, or every morning at 3am when the street light comes on. :roll:

Thanks guys i will see what was the problem. i think i was sat with her to long but i do live next to a zoo so some noises could have spooked her. there are also some cat that come in the garden. i couldn't see anything but it doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Back