• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"We're moving and can't take it with us"....

catxx

Mama Doe
Seriously, I swear 3 out of 5 rabbit free ads I'm reading are using this excuse. We're planning on moving in the near future to buy a house, my priority is a nice garden for Bob and Pat and maybe a conservatory...for them not us.

I want to mash some human skulls together. Just grr!

I wouldn't even consider moving somewhere I couldn't take my buns with us We have just moved to a house and it had to be suitable for them too!

It was a criteria when I looked for a new house.

New house, new baby, new job, too expensive, too big blah blah blah.... There's no excuse; all of those things were foreseeable when the person took on whatever pet and, save in totally extreme cases, rehoming just ought not to be necessary. In the rare cases it is (such as owner's ill health or something totally valid) do it properly and responsibly. Mind you, of course they will as they will probably be devastated. Perhaps employ the back up plan you ought to have had before you got the pet....

I dare not think would they do if it were a child?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We moved with 33 buns - and after a financial disastrous year for all sorts of reason (we are talking DISASTER big time here) have managed to cut our own expenses and food etc to very very little, and sold my car and all sorts of other things so we can still manage everything for the buns.

I rehomed one bun this year as he was not happy with us - or rather in the presence of a large number of buns - despite being castrated he went insane at the smell of other castrated males. But thats it.

We moved house about 18 months ago because a. we wanted a bit more space for us, b. it would be nice to be closer to work and MOST IMPORTANTLY c we realised we could afford a bigger place (particularly if we could get the commute down) in order to give the animals more space. What's wrong with people?

I think people feel they need an excuse to rehome, that's why there are always these reasons that (in most cases) you could work around if you really wanted to and you never see an advert that simply says "I don't want this responsibility any more".
I do feel that moving can be a valid reason to rehome though, it's not always that easy to find a place where pets are allowed and that has enough room, particularly if you only have X amount of time to move, only so much in your budget and nobody that can take them for 6 months until your tennancy's up and you can move again.

I darn not think would they do if it were a child?!
You'll have a much easier time finding a landlord who will accept children than rabbits.

I would say that 95% of the time, moving isn't a valid excuse and could be worked around. And you're right, they're just using it as an excuse instead of "can't be bothered with this creature any more".

Rabbit Residence a year or so ago took in a pair from Heathrow Airport. Their owner loved them so much she tried to move to Taiwan with them, but got the paperwork wrong and they got turned around and sent back to the UK :(

We took in a nine year old rabbit whose owners had to move and couldn't take her with them. They lost their house and had to move to a rented flat. They were genuinely distrort at giving her up and two years later are still in touch to see how she is getting on :)

I get this all the time too - 'can't take with' - my most recent was genuine as the lady had taken the rabbit on from someone else who wasn't giving her all she needed. So the last owner took her on and ensured she got the vet treatment she had to have and provided good hay, grooming, lots of attention etc but two weeks ago she moved to Taiwan for good so Muffin had to come here. Very last minute too...........

I appreciate also that a lot of people lose homes and have to move into rented or a small flat and simply cannot take the animal with them. But it does seem to be one of those excuses alongside "I'm having a baby and can't cope with the bunnies' or 'we have got a new puppy and they don't get along'.

I think people feel they need an excuse to rehome, that's why there are always these reasons that (in most cases) you could work around if you really wanted to and you never see an advert that simply says "I don't want this responsibility any more".
I do feel that moving can be a valid reason to rehome though, it's not always that easy to find a place where pets are allowed and that has enough room, particularly if you only have X amount of time to move, only so much in your budget and nobody that can take them for 6 months until your tennancy's up and you can move again.

You'll have a much easier time finding a landlord who will accept children than rabbits.

I accept that in rented accommodation it's hard but that seems to me to be a reason not to have the pet in the first place. The only excuse would seem if one ends up renting when you previously owned. I am also pretty much of the view that it's an absolute to have someone who can re-home temporarily for any pet. I personally couldn't have an animal with nowhere for them to go if I was taken into hospital or something. That really is no different to having a support network if you have a child. The trouble really is as has already been said, most of these adverts ought to say, "I've lost interest in the rabbit and need someone to bail me out of my irresponsible attitude and, whilst they are at it, salve my conscience". None of us on here would be this casual (obviously you included). Even if moving were a valid reason to rehome, there isn't one of us who would not do it "properly" rather than in a manner befitting of the old kitchen table. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this sort of thing was happening quite a lot a few years ago at the height of the recession when people couldn't keep up with their mortgage payments and had to move to a rented accommodation that didn't allow pets.

The previous owner of my two rabbits had to give them up because his/her landlord had told him to. I think quite often it's difficult to find a rental property that allows pets, at least in places like London if you rent privately.

As a tenant I do have concerns myself about what we are going to do when we move house, as we now have 3 chickens, 3 cats and 2 bunnies. I doubt very much we are going to find another landlord who is as good about the animals so will be staying put for now!!! It is my responsibility though and I knew when I got the pets that this would make moving difficult so Ill deal with it when I have to and will absolutely not consider re-homing the pets because of this - I will just have to find a new home to suit... eventually! Plus we do have a back up plan (move into fiances Dad's house) if worse case did happen so I think people really need to always have 1 back up plan just in case!!!

Like others have said, I know that moving can be a valid excuse sometimes, but I genuinely think that most of the time it's not. I'm moving in with my boyfriend in the spring/summer, and when looking for a house we looked for somewhere that had enough room for a large shed. I'll be taking the six bunnies with me :lol:

I dare not think would they do if it were a child?!
Sorry: what's the difference?

Even if moving were a valid reason to rehome, there isn't one of us who would not do it "properly" rather than in a manner befitting of the old kitchen table. :thumb:
Pah, table was one of the priorities in me getting the house I have now: must have a place big enough for the MOST HUMONGOUS TABLE!

Sorry: what's the difference?

Pah, table was one of the priorities in me getting the house I have now: must have a place big enough for the MOST HUMONGOUS TABLE!

I'd like to know this too. It really annoys me that pets are treated as inferior when they're just as important family members. If people wouldn't treat their kids in a particular way, then don't treat your pets like it either! :evil::censored:

Back