• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit become very quiet

emm_lamb

New Kit
My rabbit (she's 6 on Friday) has become very with drawn and quiet. Usually if I offer her my hand she sniffs, chins and licks it, but she is just pulling her head away. She sits in the corner of her cage quietly. On Monday, when I noticed the quiet behaviour, I opened the cage door to let her and her daughters (4 years) out for a run. Her daughters ran happily, but she stayed in the corner of the cage. She is still eating and drinking. At the moment she is laying in my room, and I can here teeth grinding.
Occasionally she does get stomach aches and will sit quietly, but it usually only last one night.
Any suggestions?
Payday is on Thursday so I can take her to the vet if need be, but I thought I'd get some suggestions first.

I recommend a vet visit as usually a sudden change in behaviour can indicate a problem. It could possibly be dental related and bun may have toothache, best to get checked to be on the safe side. Hope she is okay x

That's an indication of pain or discomfort somewhere. I'd get her to a vet ASAP and not wait until Thursday, especially since she's been like this for a couple of days already :(. Has she been spayed?

Zoe is doing a lot better, and the weather is cooler than it has been which may have been a reason for her change in behaviour. Thanks for the advice, I'm keeping a close eye on her and will bring it up at her next check up.

Zoe is doing a lot better, and the weather is cooler than it has been which may have been a reason for her change in behaviour. Thanks for the advice, I'm keeping a close eye on her and will bring it up at her next check up.

I hope she is eating and poo-ing OK now. Keep an eye on any further change in behaviour .. Rabbits go downhill so fast x

Back