• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post stasis: eating well but still tiny/very little poos

My rabbit Kia has been in stasis for 3days. I am used to managing this as her partner Woody is prone to stasis. However he usually recovers very quickly following gut stimulants & pain killers. However Kia has not been herself & not diving into her food for last 3 days now. She is eating quite well but isn't as enthusiastic about it as usual. Has eaten pellets, spring greens & kale today plus hay. I have put water on the veggies to make sure she's had some fluids. She has been having her ranitidine, emiprid & metacam prescribed by vet & seems to be hopping around more today. However she still isn't pooing normally. She is pooing small amounts & poos are very very small. I suppose the fact that she's eating is good but still concerned as have not experienced this with my other rabbit when he's in stasis. Is this normal & how long until I should start worrying even more about the small poops?

Thanks

Sarah

Small poos can go on for a day or so after refusing to eat, even once they start eating again. As long as she is moving around well and active and eating again and pooing then I would just keep an eye on her. Keeping trying all the different foods to get her eating as much as possible. I don't know how long it takes for food to travel through a rabbit but hopefully tomorrow she will be back to normal, sorry I'm not much help but best wishes :)

Thanks for your response Tim. she's ate quite well today, not as much hay as I'd like but lots of veg soaked in water. She has pooed a little but the pellets are still quite small... Have continued with her medications so will just have to see how she gets on. She is hopping around a little aswell..hopefully on the mend. It's so stressful stasis- hate it!!!

Sarah

Thanks for your response Tim. she's ate quite well today, not as much hay as I'd like but lots of veg soaked in water. She has pooed a little but the pellets are still quite small... Have continued with her medications so will just have to see how she gets on. She is hopping around a little aswell..hopefully on the mend. It's so stressful stasis- hate it!!!

Sarah

Yes I dread it. Especially at around midnight when somebun decides they don't want to eat :shock:

Back